(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I was around chickens as a child and when I was a teenager I bought two chicks and hid them in my bedroom for months, until one day my Dad came to me and said
"Elaine, you know those two chickens you have in your bedroom?"
"uh... yes Dad?"
"Don't you think it's about time we built them a coop?"
And that's when my real experience with raising chickens began! I eventually got some ducks and turkeys, too!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
1) A black Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red crossbreed named Raven (4 mos old)
2) Buff Orpington named Buffy (here's a video about her) - 2 mos old
3) Cuckoo Marans named Cuckoo, Buffy's best friend. - 2 mos old
When we put them together Raven tries to be dominant and pecks them, so we haven't joined the three together yet. We are waiting until Buffy and Cuckoo get bigger and will be less intimidated. Any advise on how to join them peacefully would be appreciated! Raven originally had a sister the same age, but she died, leaving Raven upset and lonely. So we got the other two hoping they would keep each other company. Not sure how that's going to work now.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I visited this site years when I was raising another brood. Probably found it through a web search.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Videographer. Genealogist. Loving Grandma. Took my 12 year old grandson to Alaska to have an adventure! Last summer I built a Hobbit Hole Playhouse in my backyard. It's for my youngest grandchild when she comes over! (that's what I tell people) OK I'm a fan of JRR Tolkien. I also like to draw and play Draw Something - if you want to play with me my handle is HobbitLovr
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a Director of Information Technology in Oregon. The kids are grown now, so it's just me, my husband, the cat and chickens. I just built a larger run for the chickens and am now exploring watering systems. I have also been experimenting with herbs and oils for keeping spiders out of the playhouse. I am looking into DE and herbal ways to control bugs around the chicken coop and nest boxes. I look forward to reading everyone's posts and learning from the wealth of knowledge and experience out here. We love our girls! (:> (:> (:>