BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Is $40 too much for a chick?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is $40 too much for a chick? - Page 3

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens really View Post

I can sex all my chicks by the time they are three weeks old just buy watching them interact.

Could you explain more about this?
What do you look for or how do you know?
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantamrooster View Post


Could you explain more about this?
What do you look for or how do you know?

The Cockerels will challenge each other and have many mini cock fights through out the day.

They strut around and act like full grown Roosters.

Pullets are just bossy and are more concerned about being top hen and food.

I have a couple that stump me..I have 32 chicks right now that I am banding to pick out my laying hens.

I have Ameruacana, Speckled Sussex and Danish Brown Leghorns.

The Sussex are the hard ones to pick out. Young and flighty.

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens really View Post

The Cockerels will challenge each other and have many mini cock fights through out the day.
They strut around and act like full grown Roosters.
Pullets are just bossy and are more concerned about being top hen and food.
I have a couple that stump me..I have 32 chicks right now that I am banding to pick out my laying hens.
I have Ameruacana, Speckled Sussex and Danish Brown Leghorns.
The Sussex are the hard ones to pick out. Young and flighty.

That never works for me. Have had way too many pullets act just like that. Strutting and chest bumping etc.
Sometimes i do see some cockerls that just walk like roosters. More upright with chests out but usually by the time i see that i can usually already tell by their combs.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantamrooster View Post


That never works for me. Have had way too many pullets act just like that. Strutting and chest bumping etc.
Sometimes i do see some cockerls that just walk like roosters. More upright with chests out but usually by the time i see that i can usually already tell by their combs.

It takes a good eye.

Pullets do act up but its not an all out war like the Cockerels think.? I sit for an hour watching them. It takes days to pick them out. I have a pretty good eye for the buggers in the mix.

This year I have 13 cockerels for sale.

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantamrooster View Post


That never works for me. Have had way too many pullets act just like that. Strutting and chest bumping etc.
Sometimes i do see some cockerls that just walk like roosters. More upright with chests out but usually by the time i see that i can usually already tell by their combs.


     I have some very young girls (They're sex links) who can chest bump with the best of them, but when everything is taken into consideration, it can be a clue.  :)

post #26 of 26

I live in Ca, and that is too much. Not even NPIP certified. And no show ribbons? 

 

I paid $7.50 each for Lavender Ameraucana and $9 for Lavender Orpington from breeders. Then... I paid $20 for "organic Swedish Flower chick" (different place), turns out to have a pea comb! :/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Raising Baby Chicks › Is $40 too much for a chick?