BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Poultry Feed for Ducks???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poultry Feed for Ducks???

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Because I live in remote Alberta, and the UFA was closed today, I could only get 16% poultry feed.
It said, on the bill board, 16% RTN (rationer). I have 10 week old ducklings. Will this work satisfactorily? It doesn't say what the niacin content is, as it's feed store-mixed. They had chicken scratch, turkey starter, poultry rtn, chicken layer. So is the poultry rtn all purpose for all poultry or will my ducks need more niacin?
What contains niacin besides brewer's yeast and niacin tablets?
post #2 of 9

At ten weeks, they may be in the clear for niacin, or nearly so.  And if they are getting outside and eating worms and other invertebrates, my understanding is that those contain niacin as well.

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

 

 

http://duckstead.com

 

Find my first little duck book, Carmella, Where Is Your Quack? at Amazon or

 

https://www.createspace.com/4915525

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

 

 

http://duckstead.com

 

Find my first little duck book, Carmella, Where Is Your Quack? at Amazon or

 

https://www.createspace.com/4915525

Reply
post #3 of 9

I only use poultry scratch, Hog barley chop pellets, wheat, Free ranging, fruits and veggies.

Once older I use layer mash also..

Where in Alberta are you?

I know of great locations for feed.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens really View Post

I only use poultry scratch, Hog barley chop pellets, wheat, Free ranging, fruits and veggies.
Once older I use layer mash also..
Where in Alberta are you?
I know of great locations for feed.
I am a few hours from Grande Prairie. I run into there and usually go to UFA (However I don't like the Redstock brand, it's what I normally use). Just refently I ran out of 18% Redstock Grower pellets so I had to go to Keddie's (UFA was closed) and stop there. I got some "Grande Prairie Feeds" 16% Poultry Ration. That was the closest to what I needed. It looks a lot tastier, better, and healthier than the Redstock pellets, but that's just me.
The Redstock pellets look like alfalfa cubes compared to hay. They're smushed together and look like one brown plain pellet.
The 16% Poultry Ration looks like finely chopped crumbles, corn, oats, etc. To me, it looks healthier. Of course, I need to see how my ducks react to it and their feather qualities.
What do you think? I could take pictures.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshies View Post


I am a few hours from Grande Prairie. I run into there and usually go to UFA (However I don't like the Redstock brand, it's what I normally use). Just refently I ran out of 18% Redstock Grower pellets so I had to go to Keddie's (UFA was closed) and stop there. I got some "Grande Prairie Feeds" 16% Poultry Ration. That was the closest to what I needed. It looks a lot tastier, better, and healthier than the Redstock pellets, but that's just me.
The Redstock pellets look like alfalfa cubes compared to hay. They're smushed together and look like one brown plain pellet.
The 16% Poultry Ration looks like finely chopped crumbles, corn, oats, etc. To me, it looks healthier. Of course, I need to see how my ducks react to it and their feather qualities.
What do you think? I could take pictures.

Send pics but I use the real grain feeds and the hog barley chop pellets.. Never Chicken food unless the layer mash...

If you come to Edmonton much? Contact Spruce grove feeds or Onoway feeds. They might know of a better place up there to pick up?

I call all over to find the best things for my Poultry and Horses.


Edited by chickens really - 6/20/16 at 6:00pm
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens really View Post
 

Send pics but I use the real grain feeds and the hog barley chop pellets.. Never Chicken food unless the layer mash...

If you come to Edmonton much? Contact Spruce grove feeds or Onoway feeds. They might know of a better place up there to pick up?

I call all over to find the best things for my Poultry and Horses.


My horses have had food from Keddie's, and theirs is good. I will send those pics. I just don't know about duck food :hu 

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshies View Post
 


My horses have had food from Keddie's, and theirs is good. I will send those pics. I just don't know abouti

If The horse feed is good..Chances are the rest is ok too?

I have two go two places and it isnt UFA....

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickens really View Post
 

If The horse feed is good..Chances are the rest is ok too?

I have two go two places and it isnt UFA....


Where do you go to? 

Here's the Keddie's feed.... 

 

And a couple pellets of the UFA feed. I had it mixed in so I just grabbed a couple. Sorry :( (The whole food looks like this)

 

Also can you give whole or pony oats to ducks? We have tons and if this is a good treat it'd be nice to use up. 

post #9 of 9

That feed doesn't look bad. I have never fed them oats for horses but I dont think it would hurt them at all.

The chicken feed is fine as long as your mixing it with the other feed. I also feed scratch grains.

Feed mills always have the best feed. Call a local livestock vet in your area they will know where the feed mills are.

I buy all my feed at Spruce Grove feeds.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Poultry Feed for Ducks???