BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Wing feather sexing. 2 day old chicks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wing feather sexing. 2 day old chicks.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 


Ok so these chicks hatched Saturday and I'm trying to sex them on their wing feathers.

I'm thinking this is a pullet, correct?

(Will post other 2 in comments.)
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 


Thinking pullet here too.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 


Last one... And I think pullet.
Edited by growingchicks - 6/20/16 at 7:50am
post #4 of 10
I've never done wing sexing this early in life but I'm thinking the same. If no one else can help I would love to but I will need pics in a few days when they are a little bigger.
Jenna
Reply
Jenna
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna14Chicken View Post

I've never done wing sexing this early in life but I'm thinking the same. If no one else can help I would love to but I will need pics in a few days when they are a little bigger.

Oh really?! I was told 2 days is perfect. And it should be obvious. Not so much! They chirp so loud and move a bunch. Very difficult to get pictures!
post #6 of 10

Feather sexing is only valid for certain hybrids and breed strains that are bred for the trait. What kind of chicks are they?

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingchicks View Post

Oh really?! I was told 2 days is perfect. And it should be obvious. Not so much! They chirp so loud and move a bunch. Very difficult to get pictures!
Once they get a little older they should be more use to you so they won't be AS sqirmy and loud.
Jenna
Reply
Jenna
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesmom View Post

Feather sexing is only valid for certain hybrids and breed strains that are bred for the trait. What kind of chicks are they?
Really? I've done it on many different breeds and it has work every time. A few years ago I was told that it had always worked for many people so I started doing it. I've done it for many other people also I hope it wasn't all wrong!!!!!! sad.png
Jenna
Reply
Jenna
Reply
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna14Chicken View Post


Really? I've done it on many different breeds and it has work every time.

If it worked for all breeds hatcheries would not need vent sexers.

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesmom View Post

If it worked for all breeds hatcheries would not need vent sexers.
True but not necessarily
Jenna
Reply
Jenna
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Wing feather sexing. 2 day old chicks.