New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Permethrin spray

post #1 of 134
Thread Starter 

For the first time ever, tonight we sprayed the birds and coop with spray, rather than powder.  LOVE IT!  I bought a half gallon sprayer, and permethrin liquid concentrate.  Mixed it and treated the group and coop in a very short time.  No muss, no fuss, no dust everywhere.  If it works, never going to use the poultry dust again.  Mary

post #2 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place View Post
 

For the first time ever, tonight we sprayed the birds and coop with spray, rather than powder.  LOVE IT!  I bought a half gallon sprayer, and permethrin liquid concentrate.  Mixed it and treated the group and coop in a very short time.  No muss, no fuss, no dust everywhere.  If it works, never going to use the poultry dust again.  Mary

Spray does seem like it would be easier, though would you still use spray on birds in the middle of winter? Or does it not get them that wet?

 

-Kathy

post #3 of 134
Thread Starter 

Good question!  The directions call for a very small amount of spray per bird; 1/2 ounce.  Maybe powder then?  We just sprayed on the birds on their roosts.  It's a trial run, so details later.  Mary

post #4 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place View Post

Good question!  The directions call for a very small amount of spray per bird; 1/2 ounce.  Maybe powder then?  We just sprayed on the birds on their roosts.  It's a trial run, so details later.  Mary

No picking them up? Just spray their feathers? That would be the perfect way to treat them.

-Kathy
post #5 of 134

Interesting.

Can you post pic or link to product used?

Curious too how much and where on bird sprayed.

Did you have mites, lice, or.....???

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
post #6 of 134
Thread Starter 

I've been dealing with mites, and the coop cleanout fiasco.  Rather than loading the litter into the manure spreader to move far away, it was spread around near the coop!  So much for getting the little beasts out of reach!  I have Gordon's Permethrin 10 concentrate, from TSC.  It comes in various sizes, mine is 8 oz, and will make huge amounts of spray for the birds and coop.  It's a 1:200 dilution for poultry!  I'll follow up with a report on mites after checking birds tonight.  My Chantie cock seems to have the most of any of the birds.  UGH!  Mary

post #7 of 134
Thread Starter 

Update:  this evening I inspected a dozen or so roosting birds, and saw NO mites!  So far, so good.  Mary

post #8 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place View Post
 

Update:  this evening I inspected a dozen or so roosting birds, and saw NO mites!  So far, so good.  Mary

:weee That's great news!

 

-Kathy

post #9 of 134
Thread Starter 

True confessions:  I miss figured the dilution a bit, apparently my late night arithmetic skills aren't so hot!  I used 16 ml. of product in the half-gallon sprayer, and it should have been 10 ml. per half-gallon water instead.  It's a lower dose than for some other species, and no harm was done, but still stupid on my part!  We sprayed lightly rather than maxing out the dosage, so I think it turned out fine.  Still, super easy, no dust, no fuss, and seems good so far.  Mary

post #10 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly's place View Post
 

True confessions:  I miss figured the dilution a bit, apparently my late night arithmetic skills aren't so hot!  I used 16 ml. of product in the half-gallon sprayer, and it should have been 10 ml. per half-gallon water instead.  It's a lower dose than for some other species, and no harm was done, but still stupid on my part!  We sprayed lightly rather than maxing out the dosage, so I think it turned out fine.  Still, super easy, no dust, no fuss, and seems good so far.  Mary

Maybe my math skills are incorrect....but isn't the 16ml you used more than the prescribed 10ml (I assume both are mixed with 1/2 gallon of water)

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Predators and Pests