BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens! - Page 25

post #241 of 275

It's 8 degrees here.  My chickens are Montana girls so they are all out in their run scratching around.  Of course the run is covered so they don't have to deal with snow.  If it's like last year they'll finally venture out in the snow in Feb. 

post #242 of 275

It was -13 below zero this morning at 7 a.m. The waterer in my coop is heated to prevent it from freezing, but otherwise no heat, no extra light (except for me when I go in and out). I toss a few handfuls of cracked corn in their litter for them several times a day. Don't know that the extra energy really helps, but they enjoy it.

 

I've got 27 chickens in the coop, that don't want to go out into the snow. Other than not wanting to go outside, everyone appears to be doing fine.

 

This is my first winter raising chickens. Low forecast this coming Sunday morning of -27 below zero. It's supposed to be down to -19 by 9 p.m. on Saturday; I'll look in on them then, and so long as everyone's still doing fine, won't add any heat.

post #243 of 275
Thread Starter 
-29?!?! Goodness, where do you live? Brrrrrrrrr

Does anybody ever have hens limping becuz of the cold? I have a White Leghorn limping and she doesn't have bumble foot, frostbitten toes, or any roosters mating with her, I can't figure it out.
''I am one with the force and the force is with me''
~Rougue 1
Reply
''I am one with the force and the force is with me''
~Rougue 1
Reply
post #244 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzChickens View Post

-29?!?! Goodness, where do you live? Brrrrrrrrr

Does anybody ever have hens limping becuz of the cold? I have a White Leghorn limping and she doesn't have bumble foot, frostbitten toes, or any roosters mating with her, I can't figure it out.

Mine don't limp. I have a white leghorn too and she's out and about during the day time. The cold doesn't seem to bother her that much. My cockerel is kinda similar though. He is a Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington and he is really big and fluffy and he doesn't like it outside in the cold. I force my flock out the coop for a little bit when the weather is nicer and he takes normal steps with his left leg but he picks his right leg up really high and stretches it as far out as he can than takes an other step. His leg looks normal and he walks fine when he is in the coop.
Wealth is a nightmare. With each coveted thing we buy, we lose a thing we dream about.
Reply
Wealth is a nightmare. With each coveted thing we buy, we lose a thing we dream about.
Reply
post #245 of 275
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flock Master64 View Post

Mine don't limp. I have a white leghorn too and she's out and about during the day time. The cold doesn't seem to bother her that much. My cockerel is kinda similar though. He is a Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington and he is really big and fluffy and he doesn't like it outside in the cold. I force my flock out the coop for a little bit when the weather is nicer and he takes normal steps with his left leg but he picks his right leg up really high and stretches it as far out as he can than takes an other step. His leg looks normal and he walks fine when he is in the coop.

That sounds a lot like what Dove is doing! She is acting fine and feisty as ever, just limping for no apparent reason. Her leg isn't swollen, and I picked her up and felt her joints and everything.
''I am one with the force and the force is with me''
~Rougue 1
Reply
''I am one with the force and the force is with me''
~Rougue 1
Reply
post #246 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzChickens View Post

That sounds a lot like what Dove is doing! She is acting fine and feisty as ever, just limping for no apparent reason. Her leg isn't swollen, and I picked her up and felt her joints and everything.

I'm going to put Flint in the garage tonight. See if that does anything
Wealth is a nightmare. With each coveted thing we buy, we lose a thing we dream about.
Reply
Wealth is a nightmare. With each coveted thing we buy, we lose a thing we dream about.
Reply
post #247 of 275
Thread Starter 
It was significantly warmer last night and Dove was barely limping this morning. idunno.gif I don't get it....
''I am one with the force and the force is with me''
~Rougue 1
Reply
''I am one with the force and the force is with me''
~Rougue 1
Reply
post #248 of 275
Flint is in the garage tonight
Wealth is a nightmare. With each coveted thing we buy, we lose a thing we dream about.
Reply
Wealth is a nightmare. With each coveted thing we buy, we lose a thing we dream about.
Reply
post #249 of 275
Just got in from checking on the chickens and collecting eggs this morning.

Outdoors it was 24 below zero.

Yesterday I put a thermometer in the coop. Calibrated it first, and I've been taking a thermopen thermometer out with me to verify indoor and outdoor temps.

It has been 24 (!) degrees warmer in my coop than outdoors. No supplemental heat, other than the heated base for the waterer.

So it was zero degrees in my coop this morning. All the chickens were doing fine.
post #250 of 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyBeal View Post

Just got in from checking on the chickens and collecting eggs this morning.

Outdoors it was 24 below zero.

Yesterday I put a thermometer in the coop. Calibrated it first, and I've been taking a thermopen thermometer out with me to verify indoor and outdoor temps.

It has been 24 (!) degrees warmer in my coop than outdoors. No supplemental heat, other than the heated base for the waterer.

So it was zero degrees in my coop this morning. All the chickens were doing fine.

How did you 'calibrate'?

That is a 'thermopen'?

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply

Great article on VENTILATION, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of coop design.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

 

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

 

Quoting centrarchid:

"Make every effort to understand your chicken's biology and the environment that supports it."

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!