I want to hatch my own out but don't have a broody hen!!
November 2016 Hatch-a-long!! - Page 99
It sounds like you're going broody. LOL
That happened to me earlier this year. I had to break a broody hen in Feb (during a week with -15'F lows). That part wasn't hard. In late March- early April, I wanted a hen to go broody, but had no volunteers until May.
People say you can leave eggs in a nest for a few days to entice a hen to flip that broody switch, but there's no way to force them into it.
My last egg I'm waiting on to hatch I heard peeping and felt movement when I picked it up to check it. And now it's 2 days later and I don't hear anything or feel anything from it. Should I go ahead and try to give it a little help or just wait and see? I sometimes hear that if the chick doesn't poke a hole in the egg to breath on time that they can suffocate and that's what I'm afraid will happen.
If you hear peeping, than it pipped internally. If you no longer hear anything, than it may be too late. I would carefully crack it open. Treat is as an assisted hatch until you know otherwise.
Yes, that may kill the embryos, but get the temp back to normal & wait it out. Candle the eggs & check for progress (&/or odor). Unless you see movement when candling, there's not much you can do but wait & hope that the spike was a short one. You may be surprised & have a decent hatch. Good luck.
Here's my batch from November. I moved them outside today since the weather is mild and will be for a bit. I put them in with my silkies because I thought there would be less fighting. True enough because the silkies were just curious about the new guys and then went about their silkie business. :-) The chicks were happy to have a lot more space to move around. I ended up with 5 out of 8 roosters. Boo.
What are your temperatures like there? I so wish I could get these 6 outside, but it is just way too cold.