New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heat Lamp exploded

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I know there are other threads but this is odd so I started a new one. Today I bought a new 300w heat lamp and 2 250w heat lamp bulbs. I put a bulb in the lamp and then hung it up and then plugged the lamp in and the bulb lit up as it should. Not more than 15 seconds later the bulb exploded. Any ideas why? Everything is dry and new. I have it plugged into a dusk to dawn timer with another lamp as well. That lamp is MUCH older and has never had any problems. If it were an electrical cord issue, I would think it would affect both but like I said the other lamp works great. I'm going to try again tomorrow in the daylight but does anyone have any ideas why this would happen? BOTH are brand new.

Thanks,

Mike

post #2 of 9

That is very odd, I have never had a problem like that. Maybe try to put a bulb that is less watt (just in case the lamp isn't actually 300 watts)

post #3 of 9

This isn't the first time I've heard of exploding heat lamps, and there's a possibility that there was a minute crack in the bulb that wasn't visible to the naked eye.  Those things are jostled around pretty much in packaging, shipping and warehousing.  

post #4 of 9

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

 

Can I ask why you are using a heat lamp? Sounds like you all are OK though?

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ok. I bought a new lamp and it jas fixed the problem so it was a defective lamp drawing too much current. Thank you all so much for your input I appreciate it greatly,
Mike
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 

"Can I ask why you are using a heat lamp? Sounds like you are OK though?"

 

It was because we were well below freezing so I give them a place to stay warm at night and even during the day if it stays under freezing during daytime. I have 2 coops but I don't want to take any chances


Edited by iceplyr - 12/13/16 at 11:54am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceplyr View Post
 

"Can I ask why you are using a heat lamp? Sounds like you are OK though?"

 

It was because we were well below freezing so I give them a place to stay warm at night and even during the day if it stays under freezing during daytime. I have 2 coops but I don't want to take any chances

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceplyr View Post
 

"Can I ask why you are using a heat lamp? Sounds like you are OK though?"

 

It was because we were well below freezing so I give them a place to stay warm at night and even during the day if it stays under freezing during daytime. I have 2 coops but I don't want to take any chances

 

Unless you have some kind of thinly feathered exotic breeds, you DO NOT need a heatlamp.  Chickens can easily handle the cold.  You were lucky.   Every year, on this forum, we read about coop fires, from the not-so lucky.  Do your birds a favor, and get rid of the lamp.


 

Reply


 

Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
 

 

 

Unless you have some kind of thinly feathered exotic breeds, you DO NOT need a heatlamp.  Chickens can easily handle the cold.  You were lucky.   Every year, on this forum, we read about coop fires, from the not-so lucky.  Do your birds a favor, and get rid of the lamp.


I agree with JackE - you may think you are doing the nice thing for your birds by giving them extra heat, but there are two main things that you need to consider:

 

1. The risk of electrical problems causing a fire in your coop (you have already experienced something that could have been a lot worse than it was)

 

2. What happens if there is a power cut and your heat lamp no longer works?  If your birds are used to additional heat then suddenly losing it without warning will cause them more suffering than never having provided it in the first place.

 

Chickens are covered in a lovely fluffy natural duvet, and they produce masses of heat - put your hand underneath a bird on the roost and you will see just how warm they get!

 

Started out with 3 birds. Currently at 13 pullets and 2 roos

- chicken maths is definitely getting the better of me!

 

Member of the Derperella Club - we're all just going round the rooster here.

 

RIP Blackie (the best hen ever), Rusty (too curious once too often) and Cinders (my grey girl)

 

 

Reply
 

Started out with 3 birds. Currently at 13 pullets and 2 roos

- chicken maths is definitely getting the better of me!

 

Member of the Derperella Club - we're all just going round the rooster here.

 

RIP Blackie (the best hen ever), Rusty (too curious once too often) and Cinders (my grey girl)

 

 

Reply
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTee View Post
 


I agree with JackE - you may think you are doing the nice thing for your birds by giving them extra heat, but there are two main things that you need to consider:

 

1. The risk of electrical problems causing a fire in your coop (you have already experienced something that could have been a lot worse than it was)

 

2. What happens if there is a power cut and your heat lamp no longer works?  If your birds are used to additional heat then suddenly losing it without warning will cause them more suffering than never having provided it in the first place.

 

Chickens are covered in a lovely fluffy natural duvet, and they produce masses of heat - put your hand underneath a bird on the roost and you will see just how warm they get!

Agreed, that's why I asked....

 

It can be harder for the birds to transition between indoor and outdoor temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceplyr View Post
 

"Can I ask why you are using a heat lamp? Sounds like you are OK though?"

 

It was because we were well below freezing so I give them a place to stay warm at night and even during the day if it stays under freezing during daytime. I have 2 coops but I don't want to take any chances

The most important thing is that you have proper ventilation. It is moisture build up that causes frost bite on combs.

 

The chickens are essentially wearing a down parka. Ever let one sit on your lap? Toasty under there! ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home