New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ideas for breeds of chickens! - Page 4

post #31 of 89
If you want friendly chickens then don't get adults, get them as little baby chicks.
post #32 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigti View Post

If you want friendly chickens then don't get adults, get them as little baby chicks.

Ok! Chicks just seem like a lot of work!:)   I really want chicks though!:)


Edited by rdcowman - 12/14/16 at 7:47pm
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
post #33 of 89
How many do you plan on getting? It's really not hard to set up a little Bruder, you can get basically everything you need at the hardware store and get the bedding food and chicks at the feed store. Then keep it all for when you get checks in the future. I just used a 50 gallon Rubbermaid bin. If you want friendly team chickens that is the easiest way to get them. And the people at the feed store should be able to tell you what kind of chicks you are getting. If they can't tell you then go to a different store.
I would suggest getting a variety of breeds. Because just like everything else eats chicken as an individual. You might get a friendly Rhode Island red or a grumpy Rhode Island red but you don't know until you try. The care they get is more important than their breed.
post #34 of 89

I have an Australorp, Brahma, and Orpington who all are doing well with this Wisconsin weather and are still cranking out those eggs. I'd say I get about a dozen or more eggs a week from just those three, even during the winter.

 

I think if I had to pick different breeds again from the start, I'd specifically pick out hens who have pea combs. That way you won't have to worry about getting the tips of tall combs frostbitten like my poor Orpington. 


Edited by PandCo - 12/14/16 at 8:43pm
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcowman View Post

So Leghorns would not be like RIR then! I would like lots of eggs though! But i don't want unfriendly chickens! I like RIR because there very friendly once they get to know you!   I might think about Buff Orpingtons! I don't want show quality birds i just want chickens that lay eggs!cool.png   I don't know if you have heard of Theisen's!? I get my chicken food there! They sell chicks but i don't remember if the sign says what breed they are! I don't want to get chicks if i don't know the breed! they sell them in the spring!  Someone mentioned ordering chicks form Ideal and Cackle hatchery! Have you ordered from there before?  I'm thinking about getting some chicks from one of the hatcheries!

What do you think?
I don't have experience with Leghorns, but most people say that they are not friendly, so if it was me I wouldn't take the chance. It's interesting you say that your RIR's are friendly, a lot of people say they are aggressive but I think it depends a lot on how you raise them. Buff Orpingtons are great! They are my favorite breed because of their awesome personality and willingness to be handled. We show our birds so it's important that we have a gentle, calm bird not only because we and the judges have to handle them but because there are so many people at the show and the birds need to be calm in their cages. If you're just looking for eggs then hatchery is the way to go! I have never heard of them before, but I would suggest that right when they get their chicks go over there and see what breeds they have, and if they don't have a sign ask an employee if they know what the breeds are. If they don't know what the breeds are I don't suggest buying from them because it probably means they aren't knowledgable about their birds. I have never ordered chicks from a hatchery before, actually it will be my first time ordering from a hatchery in the spring too! smile.png We will be ordering from a local hatchery here in Ohio called Eagles Nest Poultry. They seek show quality birds which is why we will be going with them. smile.png I've also seen good feedback for MyPetChicken. Maybe go check their website out, it seems pretty nice....
Edited by henny1129 - 12/15/16 at 12:16pm
Lovin' my life in the country with my animals and my family! And a proud owner of a Beagle!

~henny1129
Reply
Lovin' my life in the country with my animals and my family! And a proud owner of a Beagle!

~henny1129
Reply
post #36 of 89

I've had good luck with Meyers Hatchery and they have a pretty good selection.  Each breed page will tell you if it's cold hardy or not and it's production level (on average for their stock) as well as some other tidbits of information.  They start doing orders as small as 3 chicks in April but if you can take more or have someone to split an order with you could order whenever you want them.   We have a mixed flock here because 1 I wanted the kids to be able to tell them all apart and 2 I wasn't sure which breed would work out the best for us.  Even if you don't order from them you can learn more about the different breeds so you know more what you're looking for when you go to the local feed store and pick them up. 

 

Brooding chicks isn't all that difficult (if I can do it anyone can do it) and if you go with chicks they'll be socialized to you from the start.  Lots of threads here are dedicated to it and how to integrate them with your existing flock.

post #37 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigti View Post

How many do you plan on getting? It's really not hard to set up a little Bruder, you can get basically everything you need at the hardware store and get the bedding food and chicks at the feed store. Then keep it all for when you get checks in the future. I just used a 50 gallon Rubbermaid bin. If you want friendly team chickens that is the easiest way to get them. And the people at the feed store should be able to tell you what kind of chicks you are getting. If they can't tell you then go to a different store.
I would suggest getting a variety of breeds. Because just like everything else eats chicken as an individual. You might get a friendly Rhode Island red or a grumpy Rhode Island red but you don't know until you try. The care they get is more important than their breed.

5 or 10! We have a big metal bin that i was planning on using when i get chicks. what kind of bedding do you use? i've heard for using newspaper on the bottom and shavings on the top.  

Thanks some much!

5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
post #38 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnHens View Post
 

I've had good luck with Meyers Hatchery and they have a pretty good selection.  Each breed page will tell you if it's cold hardy or not and it's production level (on average for their stock) as well as some other tidbits of information.  They start doing orders as small as 3 chicks in April but if you can take more or have someone to split an order with you could order whenever you want them.   We have a mixed flock here because 1 I wanted the kids to be able to tell them all apart and 2 I wasn't sure which breed would work out the best for us.  Even if you don't order from them you can learn more about the different breeds so you know more what you're looking for when you go to the local feed store and pick them up. 

 

Brooding chicks isn't all that difficult (if I can do it anyone can do it) and if you go with chicks they'll be socialized to you from the start.  Lots of threads here are dedicated to it and how to integrate them with your existing flock.

The one reason that i want chicks is because i want them to be comfortable and socialized with me!  I love getting chickens that are older, but they take longer to get used to me around and they really don't like me touching them! Though, the RIR do like me touching them, but the ameraucana's do not like me when i touch them!

5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
post #39 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandCo View Post
 

I have an Australorp, Brahma, and Orpington who all are doing well with this Wisconsin weather and are still cranking out those eggs. I'd say I get about a dozen or more eggs a week from just those three, even during the winter.

 

I think if I had to pick different breeds again from the start, I'd specifically pick out hens who have pea combs. That way you won't have to worry about getting the tips of tall combs frostbitten like my poor Orpington. 

The ameraucana's have pea comes,but the RIR have single/rose! does that mean the RIR could get frost bite? the mostly stay in the coop!  On Sunday it's supposed to get down to -10! 

5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
post #40 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henny1129 View Post


I don't have experience with Leghorns, but most people say that they are not friendly, so if it was me I wouldn't take the chance. It's interesting you say that your RIR's are friendly, a lot of people say they are aggressive but I think it depends a lot on how you raise them. Buff Orpingtons are great! They are my favorite breed because of their awesome personality and willingness to be handled. We show our birds so it's important that we have a gentle, calm bird not only because we and the judges have to handle them but because there are so many people at the show and the birds need to be calm in their cages. If you're just looking for eggs then hatchery is the way to go! I have never heard of them before, but I would suggest that right when they get their chicks go over there and see what breeds they have, and if they don't have a sign ask an employee if they know what the breeds are. If they don't know what the breeds are I don't suggest buying from them because it probably means they aren't knowledgable about their birds. I have never ordered chicks from a hatchery before, actually it will be my first time ordering from a hatchery in the spring too! smile.png We will be ordering from a local hatchery here in Ohio called Eagles Best Poultry. They seek show quality birds which is why we will be going with them. smile.png I've also seen good feedback for MyPetChicken. Maybe go check their website out, it seems pretty nice....

I will!;)  I love my RIR! I'm thinking about maybe getting some Buff orpingtons! i don't really know a lot of chicken breeds, but i know a few now because of you guys!!:thumbsup  There really cute at Theisen's! I really want friendly and loving chickens!

 

Thanks so much for your advice! 

5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Ameraucana's! I love my chickens!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: