New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't use heat bulbs

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
I was going to post pics of my chicken coop when I had it all the way I wanted it to look. I was getting pretty close this week. But at 8 am the fire department was banging on my door to tell me my coop was on fire. My heart is broken. Lost all my laying hens and almost lost my bantam coop.
Thousands of dollars down the drain...but mainly I miss my Easter Eggers Snooki and Peanut. They used to fly up and roost on me.


Don't use heat bulbs. I've heard that before...
Thought it couldn't happen to me.
I was wrong. It hurts so much to go through this.





Edited by Bawk2theFuture - 12/20/16 at 6:28pm
post #2 of 39

:hit:hugs

D.gif  ~ ACORN ACRES in South Cackalacky jumpy.gif

 

An old Production Red, a Black Australorp, 1 Marans, 7 Easter Eggers, 1 'attitude adjusted' EE(?) Roo...

and some really prolific oak trees!

Reply

D.gif  ~ ACORN ACRES in South Cackalacky jumpy.gif

 

An old Production Red, a Black Australorp, 1 Marans, 7 Easter Eggers, 1 'attitude adjusted' EE(?) Roo...

and some really prolific oak trees!

Reply
post #3 of 39

So sorry for your loss. :(

Ex-horse addict turned chicken lover.  Five barn cats, 1 golden comet, 1 buff orpington, 1 black jersey giant, 2 black australorps.
Reply
Ex-horse addict turned chicken lover.  Five barn cats, 1 golden comet, 1 buff orpington, 1 black jersey giant, 2 black australorps.
Reply
post #4 of 39
Thread Starter 
Thanks you guys...
My real time friends and family don't really understand. They haven't any chickens
post #5 of 39

Very sorry for your loss.

 

Did you find the specific cause? Was there faulty or overloaded wiring? Did the heat lamp fall?

post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawk2theFuture View Post

Thanks you guys...
My real time friends and family don't really understand. They haven't any chickens
I'm so sorry. I would be devastated also.
post #7 of 39

It looks like that was a beautiful chicken structure.  So sorry you have to go through this.  

post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasboyle View Post

Very sorry for your loss.

Did you find the specific cause? Was there faulty or overloaded wiring? Did the heat lamp fall?

The fire department said everything was so torched that it was hard to say. But they imagine it was the heat lamp.
post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawk2theFuture View Post

Thanks you guys...
My real time friends and family don't really understand. They haven't any chickens
Well...my husband gets it. We cried all day together while our new puppy tried to console us.
post #10 of 39

Sorry to see that happen. Money lost is one thing, but there is a pretty big emotional investment in something like that too......the house and the birds. Tough thing to accept.

 

How did you have the heat lamp installed? How close to combustibles, etc? How was it wired?

 

Also, did you also happen to have an electric water heater? If so, what type and how was it installed?

 

(I see these metal pans with light bulbs in them........some of them homemade.....and they are placed beneath water buckets and water tanks and I start to see spilt water and electricity coming together. Shock hazard for certain, but possible fire hazard as well).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: