New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

emu questions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I know that emu eat 2000 calories every day but how many lbs do they eat every day

 

How often do female emu lay eggs in mating season

 

how do you tell if an egg is fertilized

 

every 1 emu needs how many feet do they need

 

Can heaters hurt emu in the winter

 

ext

post #2 of 10

I'm no expert for sure, but from my experience, feeding amount depends on environment. If they green pasture, they will graze and eat less pellets. I would say my adult emus eat about 1 to 1.5 pounds of ratite pellet per day. And during the breading season, about half of that. My female lays an egg about every 4 days fairly consistently during the breading season, but that can vary from bird to bird. There is no visual way to tell if an egg is fertile. The best way I have found is to mark down when I see my pair breeding and go from there. Females remain fertile for 14 days after breeding. And since I see my pair breeding almost daily, I'm fairly confident all her eggs are fertile. A breeding pair needs about 1/2 acre of space. I've never used a heater, as I live in California, but I'm sure as long as it's high enough that they can't reach it, it should be fine. If you're serious about raising emus, i recommend getting a copy of the Emu Farmer's Handbook. It is a wealth of knowledge.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

where do you get the book and should i use a heater because i live in NH


Edited by emu loverer - 2/5/17 at 12:29pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu loverer View Post
 

where do you get the book and should i use a heater because i live in NH


It's my understanding that adult emus are very cold hardy and would not need a heater.  Little guys would need one until fully feathered.  I've also referenced a book titles The Ratite Encyclopedia.  I got my copy from amazon.

Mommy to 14 Jersey Giants, 3 Svart Honas, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 1 Araucana, 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga, and one emu named Daryl.
Reply
Mommy to 14 Jersey Giants, 3 Svart Honas, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 1 Araucana, 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga, and one emu named Daryl.
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

ty are there pages specifically about emu 


Edited by emu loverer - 2/7/17 at 4:28pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu loverer View Post

ty are there pages specifically about emu 

Yes there are several chapters dedicated to emu. It's geared toward the large scale farming of ratites but I still found a lot of good info. I think I saw the other book mentioned on Amazon as well.
Mommy to 14 Jersey Giants, 3 Svart Honas, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 1 Araucana, 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga, and one emu named Daryl.
Reply
Mommy to 14 Jersey Giants, 3 Svart Honas, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 1 Araucana, 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga, and one emu named Daryl.
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich9510 View Post


Yes there are several chapters dedicated to emu. It's geared toward the large scale farming of ratites but I still found a lot of good info. I think I saw the other book mentioned on Amazon as well.

can you give me a link

post #8 of 10
Mommy to 14 Jersey Giants, 3 Svart Honas, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 1 Araucana, 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga, and one emu named Daryl.
Reply
Mommy to 14 Jersey Giants, 3 Svart Honas, 2 Ayam Cemanis, 1 Araucana, 1 Pekin, 1 Cayuga, and one emu named Daryl.
Reply
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

how many lbs of other 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu559 View Post
 

I'm no expert for sure, but from my experience, feeding amount depends on environment. If they green pasture, they will graze and eat less pellets. I would say my adult emus eat about 1 to 1.5 pounds of ratite pellet per day. And during the breading season, about half of that. My female lays an egg about every 4 days fairly consistently during the breading season, but that can vary from bird to bird. There is no visual way to tell if an egg is fertile. The best way I have found is to mark down when I see my pair breeding and go from there. Females remain fertile for 14 days after breeding. And since I see my pair breeding almost daily, I'm fairly confident all her eggs are fertile. A breeding pair needs about 1/2 acre of space. I've never used a heater, as I live in California, but I'm sure as long as it's high enough that they can't reach it, it should be fine. If you're serious about raising emus, i recommend getting a copy of the Emu Farmer's Handbook. It is a wealth of knowledge.

how many lbs of other food do they eat

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ostriches, Emu, Rheas