We love our girls and want to keep them healthy. Keep me posted on how you make out with my suggestion. I see you live in Ohio, no wonder you have some issues. I live NW Coast in Canada!
Topic of the Week - Coop Bedding and Waste Management; Deep Litter Method etc. - Page 8
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
I currently have 9 hens. The coop is raised ~4 feet and is 4 X 8 feet. attached run with ramp is fenced -- 12 X 12 open air plus 4X12 covered.
Bedding in the coop:
- What do you use? Layers of newspaper with lots of mulch hay spread over it.
- How deep do you let it get? When the hay gets flattened out and starts to get messy, I just add more hay. It gets pretty deep by cleaning time.
- How often do you clean it out? In warm weather, every two months or so; in winter 3-4 months depending on weather. I rake out everything, including the paper, and compost it. I clean the nesting boxes more frequently summer & winter.
- What is your coop floor? Plywood.
- Do you use a poop board or something similar? No. The poop mixes in with the hay and makes great compost. Also, the hens spend a lot of time in the run.
- Anyone use the deep litter method? Tell us about your experience?
- What products, beside bedding materials, do you use to keep smells/moisture under control? No products, just good ventilation.