BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › *UPDATED* Has anyone ever tried building one coop for roosting and another for nesting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*UPDATED* Has anyone ever tried building one coop for roosting and another for nesting? - Page 3

post #21 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottandSam View Post

Also FWIW. I have used moldy wood before. I just use bleach to scrub after I have wet it. Then power wash it. and seal it with primer or wood stain.

In fact these boards used in this door were almost  entirely black before just power washing........




The cedar stained up dark but the door panels came out pretty light. And don't pay attention to the half logs siding. If it was not already payed for and left over after building our house I sure as heck would not have used that.

Scott

Thank you, Scott! That looks great! I bet we have a power washer for the farm equipment and I can get primer from our recycling center! Great ideas! I love the idea of using what we have and repurposing as much as possible. Thanks again!
post #22 of 40
Thread Starter 

Hey all! 

 

I am adding a new question to this thread, still pertaining to adding space to the coop. Has anyone ever tried one coop for nesting and one coop for roosting? I have been having trouble with the rooster and hens thinking boxes are beds. I don't know if it would be too much extra work to move the boxes and build an extra 32 sq ft just for roosting. 

I will still need to add on to this coop to have enough space for everyone to roost comfortable. I found about 10 pallets that are 3'4" X 8'. I found a large piece of plywood that is 4' X 8'. There is a ton of old wood planks that are about 2" X 8" and 6'-8' long (varying sizes). I have multiple pieces of tin for a roof of varying sizes. About 2' wide and different lengths. I also have old cabinets I was thinking of turning into nesting boxes. I have a small window that's about 1'X2' I plan to install. I am going to use graph paper and start drawing up ideas to begin this weekend! feedback is always greatly appreciated!

post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChxLadyCass View Post

Hey all! 

I am adding a new question to this thread, still pertaining to adding space to the coop. Has anyone ever tried one coop for nesting and one coop for roosting? I have been having trouble with the rooster and hens thinking boxes are beds. I don't know if it would be too much extra work to move the boxes and build an extra 32 sq ft just for roosting. 
I will still need to add on to this coop to have enough space for everyone to roost comfortable. I found about 10 pallets that are 3'4" X 8'. I found a large piece of plywood that is 4' X 8'. There is a ton of old wood planks that are about 2" X 8" and 6'-8' long (varying sizes). I have multiple pieces of tin for a roof of varying sizes. About 2' wide and different lengths. I also have old cabinets I was thinking of turning into nesting boxes. I have a small window that's about 1'X2' I plan to install. I am going to use graph paper and start drawing up ideas to begin this weekend! feedback is always greatly appreciated!
Have boards over the nest boxes at night

Large Fowl Blue, Black, and Splash Cochin Breeder

Flock of egg layers too!

Reply

Large Fowl Blue, Black, and Splash Cochin Breeder

Flock of egg layers too!

Reply
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChxLadyCass View Post

UPDATE:    
Ideas for building a new coop/renovating with existing materials o
Pallets, fence posts, old cedar, tin scraps, metal scraps, old tires of various sizes, different types of fencing and so much more! I love the beautiful coops everyone has, but am working to make this habit as CHEAP as possible (i.e. we only buy chickens and feed) 

Also, I have very minimal building skills and will likely do this project solo! 

I'm going to attempt to add a picture of my coop here. I build it mostly by myself and I'm a girl lol! YouTube was very helpful as well as this site. I used pallets and wood from an old roof that my ex helped disassemble and gave me the wood. I purchased some 2x4's and hardware.
post #25 of 40
This is before I finished it btw
post #26 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa920 View Post

This is before I finished it btw

Nice!! You go girl!
post #27 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa920 View Post

I'm going to attempt to add a picture of my coop here. I build it mostly by myself and I'm a girl lol! YouTube was very helpful as well as this site. I used pallets and wood from an old roof that my ex helped disassemble and gave me the wood. I purchased some 2x4's and hardware.

Can you share resources or explain to me how you used pallets? I have a TON of pallets.
post #28 of 40
I basically just nailed them together, used 2x4's for the roof. I can't remember specifically I watched several YouTube videos and Pinterest too and sort of did my own thing.
post #29 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa920 View Post

I basically just nailed them together, used 2x4's for the roof. I can't remember specifically I watched several YouTube videos and Pinterest too and sort of did my own thing.

That's really awesome! I struggle to make decisions, so I have gone from expanding my current coop to building a second coop, to remodeling the current coop, to getting a coop from a friend who doesn't sue theirs, back to building a second coop!! I can't make up my mind, but with new chicks in the brooder, the clock is ticking and I have about 6 weeks before something needs to be DONE! 

post #30 of 40
Thread Starter 

SUCCESS! My man gave me the go ahead to build a second coop! My brother is helping me out this weekend and we are starting with a 7X7 base! My total square footage between the two coops will be enough for 20 CHICKENS! (I currently have 15 + chicken math) So excited! Thank you all for your help! I will post pics of the progress. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › *UPDATED* Has anyone ever tried building one coop for roosting and another for nesting?