BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Predators and Pests › Rat infestation in the run
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rat infestation in the run - Page 2

post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 

I found this a very interesting read. - A complete guide for getting rid of rats forever!

 

http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/getting-rid-of-rats.html

post #12 of 31

I must be accidentally training the smartest wild rats around here.  We have locked bait stations - the rats don't go for it.  Electric traps - they won't go in.  Glue traps (which I only got as a "last resort") - apparently they're deterred by the scent of the glue and simply won't go near them. 

 

We happened to catch a previous rat while it was inside the coop and managed to dispatch it in there. 

 

At least I do seem to get only 1 rat at a time, they're just super persistent. 

post #13 of 31

It will take them a week or more to start taking the chunx. They are uber cautious.

 

In four years of using chunx poison only one dead rodent was found above ground. A chipmunk was on the lawn. I disposed of it to trash on route to chicken coop in morning. 

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

 

-Charles Dudley Warner

Reply

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

 

-Charles Dudley Warner

Reply
post #14 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead_Jr View Post
 

It will take them a week or more to start taking the chunx. They are uber cautious.

 

In four years of using chunx poison only one dead rodent was found above ground. A chipmunk was on the lawn. I disposed of it to trash on route to chicken coop in morning. 

i ordered a bait station from amazon today. do you actually have the bait station in the run or do you keep them external from the the chicken environment ?


Edited by bevis - 3/14/17 at 4:53pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevis View Post

i ordered a bait station from amazon today. do you actually have the bait station in the run or do you keep them external from the the chicken environment ?

We have had a problem with rats too. We purchased a rat poison from Meyer Hatchery and I have to say (knock on wood) it works wonders. We do have dogs so we put them in areas where we have seen evidence of rats but not where the dogs or chickens can get them. The product is very reasonably priced too. Just a suggestion that we found helped a lot.

Good luck
post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by e72071 View Post


We have had a problem with rats too. We purchased a rat poison from Meyer Hatchery and I have to say (knock on wood) it works wonders. We do have dogs so we put them in areas where we have seen evidence of rats but not where the dogs or chickens can get them. The product is very reasonably priced too. Just a suggestion that we found helped a lot.

Good luck


Do you have a link to it ?

post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevis View Post


Do you have a link to it ?

I couldn't get the link to work but I took 2 screen shoots of it.

post #18 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by e72071 View Post


I couldn't get the link to work but I took 2 screen shoots of it.


thank you

post #19 of 31

put the birds up in a different pen, and pull thier feed at night. Then in the old pen put Decon feed containers and watch the little scavengers gag!

Birds will be birds!

 

Chinese Ring Necks, Golden Pheasants, N-Bob White, pot luck Coturnix

Llewellin English Setters

Reply

Birds will be birds!

 

Chinese Ring Necks, Golden Pheasants, N-Bob White, pot luck Coturnix

Llewellin English Setters

Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDBirdDog View Post
 

put the birds up in a different pen, and pull thier feed at night. Then in the old pen put Decon feed containers and watch the little scavengers gag!

 

Ahh I wish I had the set up to do that.

 

I'll look into those rat baits.  The current ones are not doing the trick.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Predators and Pests
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Predators and Pests › Rat infestation in the run