BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Hatch-A-Longs › Contest #9 Guess How Many Will Hatch - 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Contest #9 Guess How Many Will Hatch - 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong - Page 6

post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimom View Post

I know, all mine were infertile, but I had a great hatch with shipped eggs.  Strange.  Seems like lots of folks had infertile eggs.
Yes most of mine were infertile. Of the 27 duck eggs where I had two males running with my females only 13 of those eggs were fertile! No idea on the quail eggs because those are more difficult to candle but I believe 12-15 of those I could see clearly and were blanks out of the 35 that I placed for the EHAL. I'm thinking of rotating my stock and maybe that would help. Suggestions?
Edited by Glaseria - 4/21/17 at 7:43am
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaseria View Post


Yes most of mine were infertile. Of the 27 duck eggs where I had two males running with my females only 13 of those eggs were fertile! No idea on the quail eggs because those are more difficult to candle but I believe 12-15 of those I could see clearly and were blanks out of the 35 that I placed for the EHAL. I'm thinking of rotating my stock and maybe that would help. Suggestions?


​I don't know about your stock, but I found that my free range rooster is no longer fertile. I have two other roosters that I can let out to free range as soon as they are done for the year in the breeding pens.

post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen523 View Post
 


​I don't know about your stock, but I found that my free range rooster is no longer fertile. I have two other roosters that I can let out to free range as soon as they are done for the year in the breeding pens.

are you sure he's infertile? maybe the hens arent receptive to him

feathers could be in the way OR he could have big spurs that make the girls run away ;)

 

might be time for a trim

post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneNLiz View Post
 

are you sure he's infertile? maybe the hens arent receptive to him

feathers could be in the way OR he could have big spurs that make the girls run away ;)

 

might be time for a trim


​I'm sure. I have seen the hens squatting for him and he seems to be breeding them fine. I think he's about 4 years old. Maybe older.

post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen523 View Post
 


​I'm sure. I have seen the hens squatting for him and he seems to be breeding them fine. I think he's about 4 years old. Maybe older.

i would still check his spurs, i have seen some with large spurs that couldnt get the job done then when they were shed/trimmed they were able to do it again 

post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen523 View Post


​I don't know about your stock, but I found that my free range rooster is no longer fertile. I have two other roosters that I can let out to free range as soon as they are done for the year in the breeding pens.

I've got two other drakes I can try. My plan was going to rotate them and try and hatch out those eggs and see who's the best drake and then cull the rest. There's no point in me keeping a male that doesn't cover all my females or just eats himself fat. I think there problem is that they are still young but not sure.
post #57 of 60
Who won?
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert420 View Post

Who won?

Pretty sure not me. With all the low numbers this year 😞
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert420 View Post

Who won?
I think they're still waiting on people to get their numbers in.
post #60 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by casportpony View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert420 View Post

Who won?
I think they're still waiting on people to get their numbers in.


Yep, we are in the last part of trying to get everyone's numbers.

Was breeding Welsummers and Barnevelders. Not anymore thanks to a bobcat.

 

Having an Icelandic in the coop is like having a 2 year old in the house - they are into everything and don't follow the rules.



Join us for the 8th Annual Easter Hatchalong!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151482/the-8th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50#post_18028604

Reply

Was breeding Welsummers and Barnevelders. Not anymore thanks to a bobcat.

 

Having an Icelandic in the coop is like having a 2 year old in the house - they are into everything and don't follow the rules.



Join us for the 8th Annual Easter Hatchalong!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151482/the-8th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_50#post_18028604

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hatch-A-Longs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Hatch-A-Longs › Contest #9 Guess How Many Will Hatch - 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong