Originally Posted by CliffB
They put a "rough service" coating on the bulbs which i believe is teflon that is intended to make the bulb more durable against being dropped (i.e. shoved in a tool box or thrown in the back of a work truck) and when this coating is burned off it is toxic to the chicks. Granted if you brood in a chicken wire brooder you may never see the effect but in a situation like my new brooder it would be fatal. As long as you use "Brooder Lamps" and not "Heat Lamps" then it should never be an issue anyways. I've made a habit of turning on all of the bulbs anyways now as a precaution. In previous years during chick days i had customers that would purchase the heat lamps saying "I only need one bulb not two." and then would return a day or so later saying all of their chicks had just died suddenly in the brooder.
Very interesting.. And sad
.. And good to know!!
Y'all, look how pretty my little Barred Rock babies are getting that I hatched in the fall.. I just looked at them and realized they're starting to look grown up!