Originally Posted by PapaChaz
interesting posts about the cabinets with great timing. I'm currently in a discussion on the FB group North GA Chickens with a guy who has a home made cabinet for sale for $800, "if you don't mind hand turning your eggs" and he used all GQF internals.
I merely pointed out that he has his 'home made' cabinet priced higher than a GQF 1502 that's fully automatic. I didn't say anything bad about him or his cabinet, merely pointed out the pricing facts. He now has his drawers all bunched up at me, and said he bought a GQF and it's "plastic" and called it "crap that's worth about $300". So I've questioned why he doesn't keep his and sell the crap plastic one.....
"it's like comparing dining room tables, you can buy a pine one or an oak one" LOL ummm, no it's not like dining room tables. Has nothing to do with dining room table components. It's about a home made cabinet, that looks very well made BTW, just not automatic, vs the one that pretty much set the industry standards. It's about someone buying the industry standards internal working parts and a piece of plywood, and then trying to sell it for more than the industry standard......some people will say about anything to sell something....
I agree. It was a nice exterior, but WAY too much.
We are working to finish our cabinet, just ordered the thermostat, heater and fan set.
Mine will include the 4 turners I've collected, but if I DID have $700 to spend, I would definitely buy the GQF one instead!
So far the outer case is done, door is in progress. Shelves are also in progress. The shelf holders are there, the shelves still need their 1/4" hardware cloth.
The false wall is on hold until we get the electronics installed, for spacing.
My last hatch was umm, interesting.
I had 14 Speckled Sussex eggs for a friend, 24 duck eggs for the friend, and then 1 silkie and 2 EE eggs just to fill it up.
I tried a more hands off approach, didn't candle til lockdown.
NONE of the SS eggs were fertile. :( Less than half the eggs were fertile.
My 3 eggs all looked good.
I didn't turn off the turner, and then more or less forgot it from Tuesday night.
Friday night I got home, and remembered the eggs.
Went to pull out the eggs, and noticed the silkie egg was zipped and empty.
Found the silkie sitting in one of the egg cups, riding back and forth!
Pulled her out, left the EE eggs.
Last night found one of them hatched, pulled him out and the last egg was pipped on the bottom of the egg.
Waiting to see how that ends.
Much better than when I stressed over them, candled at day 8 or so.
All I've done is add water every few days. And if the last one hatches, that would be 100% of the fertile eggs!
Plus Eric has some of my eggs, due to hatch on Wednesday I believe. :)