Since we've had so much snow this year, the hens have been spending a lot of time indoors. They refuse to go out. They've been pecking each others' butt feathers and tail feathers off and finally made a wound on one of my BLR Wyandottes.
When I go online, many sites say:
1. Increased protein. --Bought some cat food
2. Decreased light. --Can't do much about this
3. Decreased temperature. --Can't fix this, either. It's barely above freezing in there.
4. Increased space. --We already have a10' x 16' building
5. Anti-peck ointment. --This is the issue. All the articles mention this stuff, but no one gives brand names. Don't want to use Blu-Kote b/c it's not labeled for food animals so there's no withholding times.
Anyone know any good anti-peck ointments that have worked for you? We're also getting some flock blocks today.
Thanks very much. This is really worrying me.