Been trying to catch up. Had a bad week -- lost the one peacock, the other is not looking great but I am treating him the best I can. And also Monday, the Dominique chicks I bought at the show started passing blood(reason to not buy anything but hatching eggs). I put them on sulmet and thought I had caught it but lost both cockerels and one pullet. I have one other pullet not looking great that I forced some sulmet water down last night. She is eating today and drinking water. The person I bought them from at first tried to say I must have put them in a dirty pen but he has since lost a few himself. What a sad thing to deal with. I did do my first postmortem exam on the first cockerel to died and found textbook cocci ~"Eimeria tenella". The person I purchased them from admits he put them on the ground to eat some grass a day or so before the show. They were 4 weeks old at the show. He was a believer that if they were on medicated food they would not get cocci.
Patsy, my Dorking chicks are still doing good and I have gotten them out of the shed where the sick chicks are. They were never with those chicks and I am really glad now of that. I am keeping my fingers crossed they do not get the cocci bug. They are eating great and enjoying the bigger hutch.
I also have my first batch of chicks hatching since my break--they started yesterday and hopefully will finish today. I had 90 eggs to start with and only pulled about 5 or 6 clear ones. I was expecting more to be clear. I do not like to hatch that many chicks at once. What a mass of chicks I had in there this morning.