Don't risk it!
I just bought a big plastic container of cedar chips intending to use it in the chickens' nesting boxes but I got a sniff of the cedar and recalled how all my hamsters died when I used a chips with that smell in their cage. They died in a matter of hours after they knocked a few of the chips into the water that reddened.
They were obviously poisoned and I could tell they died horribly.
I want to return the chips but am not sure if I still have the3 receipt so might use it at the top of my potted plants. Maybe it will keep bugs out of the potting mix.
I have decided not to risk it. I have decided to use pine chips instead, but will make sure there is none of that glue that is toxic in the chips, that they use when making compressed wood. Its not worth the risk because that smell is the same smell from the other wood chips that might have contained the same toxin that might be in cedar chips.