BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Help-Chicken ate some rat poisons-What to do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help-Chicken ate some rat poisons-What to do?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I came home and just found some of the rat poison got knocked over and I'm pretty sure the chicken ate some.  They're acting fine but I just got home so I don't know when this happened.  I have 3 RIR who are about 16 weeks old, I don't see any sign of sickness from them but what can I do or should do now?  Thanks!!

post #2 of 9

Hi,

Several years ago, a pair of my cockatiels ate several pellets of mouse bait. I took them to the vet, she gave them each an injection of vitamin K to prevent the bleeding that causes death. I can't rember...if I had to give tablets orally as a follow up or not. Both birds did just fine...we actually contacted the "bait" company and they had no information on how the birds systems might react. We treated with vitamin K - just to be sure. If you haven't already called a vet - you might want to do so. Good Luck...keep us posted on your chicken.

post #3 of 9

Do you still have the packaging of the rat poison?  I would read that.. most likely there is a website or phone number so you can get info.   I had my dog eat fly attractant... and it explained what to do on the website and on the 800 #.    I would think you would want to dilute it as much as possible with water , make sure they have plenty of fresh water . 

Sorry I don't know what else to tell you.  Good luck.   I would think it would work pretty fast though so if some time has gone by , they may not have eaten enough or any if they didnt like the taste. 


Nancy

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtamour 

I came home and just found some of the rat poison got knocked over and I'm pretty sure the chicken ate some.  They're acting fine but I just got home so I don't know when this happened.  I have 3 RIR who are about 16 weeks old, I don't see any sign of sickness from them but what can I do or should do now?  Thanks!!


swtamour,
Oh Gosh that sounds omminous. Let's hope you are wrong and they didn't eat any. I can't help, but maybe someone else will respond.
Can you post the type of poison?

And contact poison control, maybe they'll have an idea. Try searching for the name of the poison, maybe the manufactor's website will have some info.
Good luck
Imp/Russ


Edited by Imp - 6/13/09 at 8:00pm

 

 

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit,

for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man.

All things are connected.
Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

 

       ― Chief Seattle

Reply

 

 

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit,

for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man.

All things are connected.
Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

 

       ― Chief Seattle

Reply
post #5 of 9

Oh my, I sure hope they'll be ok! Healing hugs for your chickies!

crazi about critders!
Reply
crazi about critders!
Reply
post #6 of 9

I've read that vitamin K is the antidote. Although I think it's usually given by a vet intravenously.

Tracy
Reply
Tracy
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

I just went to the store and couldn't find vitamin K.  But I found a multi vitamin with vitamin K in it without iron, can I give this to them?

post #8 of 9

You need to find out actual, accurate dosage.  I think they give pretty heavy dosage initially (via injection), then follow up with pure vitamin K pills, not "multi-vitamins".

Just giving a vitamin pill with K in it is probably not adequate... I don't remember exact doses, but it was pretty hefty!!!

You need to get more info from a Veterinarian, poison control, and/or the rat bait company.   (!!!!!!)


Edited by Suellyn - 6/13/09 at 8:58pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtamour 

I just went to the store and couldn't find vitamin K.  But I found a multi vitamin with vitamin K in it without iron, can I give this to them?


According to veterinarypartner.com no it won't, and in fact can be toxic-don't give it.  Here is their quote....

Vitamin K1 VS. Vitamin K2 VS. Vitamin K3

There are three forms of vitamin K but only Vitamin K1 is used therapeutically. Vitamin K1 is a natural form of Vitamin K that is found in plants and absorbed nutritionally. Its more technical name is phylloquinone. Vitamin K2 (menaquinone) is also natural and is produced by intestinal bacteria but apparently not in amounts adequate for rescue from the anticoagulant rodenticides. Vitamin K3 (menadione) is a synthetic version that may be injected or taken orally. You may even see it available as a vitamin supplement tablet.

Within the body, Vitamin K1 and Vitamin K3 are converted to Vitamin K2. Vitamin K3 might seem like an inexpensive way to treat a pet with rat poisoning but unfortunately K3 is sometimes toxic and can actually lead to red blood cell destruction. Inexpensive Vitamin K3 pills on the drugstore shelf for over-the-counter sale are not acceptable antidotes. Vitamin K1 is used because it is absorbed early in the GI tract and concentrates directly in the liver, which is where the serine proteases are activated. It is only Vitamin K1 that should be considered to be the antidote for anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Help-Chicken ate some rat poisons-What to do?