New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RoundUp (Glyphosate) toxicity

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

We recently lost three hens that up until the time they died looked and acted perfectly healthy. The only thing I can come up with is my DH sprayed RoundUp under the grapevines. (unknown to me)
The hens are free ranged. The first two died about a week after he sprayed and the third just a day after she started free ranging. ( three other birds are still alive and well)

My question, does anyone have any documented ( or personal experience) with RoundUp being lethal to chickens? Yes I have googled it but cannot find anything concrete.

post #2 of 11

I dont know but isnt round up supposed to chemically break down after like 3 days?


What is the overlap time with the 3?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

It does not break down, but it usually is washed away with rain. However we did not have a drop over the 2 weeks from the time the roundup was sprayed and the 3rd bird died

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootball 

I dont know but isnt round up supposed to chemically break down after like 3 days?


What is the overlap time with the 3?

post #4 of 11

Roundup is a very safe chemical.  It has little or no toxic effect on warm blooded animals.  It actually inhibits a crucial amino acid that plants need to live.  Animals have no such enzyme.  Roundup is very quickly inactivated when exposed to soil, so it's very doubtful that your birds died from exposure to Glyphosate.

I know that there are many who will refute this, but Roundup has replaced many of the older, and much more toxic chemicals that we used to use on crops.   Atrazine, Eradicane, Treflan, Dicamba, Sencor, and many others were terribly toxic, and many of them had very long half-lives.  Roundup is relatively non-toxic, and has very little persistence.

I would search for another reason that your hens died.  Possibly some berries or other plant material that was toxic to them?  Or, could they have come upon an old battery or some paint or other chemicals in their scratching?

Old, fat, gray-haired EMT guy.  Raised birds for 60 years.  I don't name 'em, and don't dwell over any that die.  I treat every bird with respect, and feed and care for 'em as best I can.  Dad to 2 M.D.'s, a teacher and a computer guru.  Grandpa to 6 beautiful girls and two grandsons.  Life is good!
Reply
Old, fat, gray-haired EMT guy.  Raised birds for 60 years.  I don't name 'em, and don't dwell over any that die.  I treat every bird with respect, and feed and care for 'em as best I can.  Dad to 2 M.D.'s, a teacher and a computer guru.  Grandpa to 6 beautiful girls and two grandsons.  Life is good!
Reply
post #5 of 11

what jhm47 said.

My dog licked her feet after walking through Roundup and I freaked out and researched myself crazy.  (It was an accident)

She was fine, Roundup is very safe around animals.

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

No toxic berries or plants, the older hens had been free ranged in that area for several months. When the first 2 died I assumed it was heat related (even though they had access to plenty of shade and water) I only found out about the Round up the day the 3rd hen died. (after a grape vine died under which the round up had been spayed, no chemical got on the plant or the leaves) it just seemed odd that three birds and a perfectly healthy plant all died after the chemical was sprayed in the area.

Hopefully I don't lose any more but if I do they are going to the lab for a necropsy. I may see if I can send a sample of the herbicide off as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm47 

I would search for another reason that your hens died.  Possibly some berries or other plant material that was toxic to them?  Or, could they have come upon an old battery or some paint or other chemicals in their scratching?

post #7 of 11

Any butternut trees or black walnut trees around?

post #8 of 11

I would not blame the RoundUp, it breaks down too quickly.

Kathy
Their, there.  They're not the same!
Reply
Kathy
Their, there.  They're not the same!
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwharrie 

My question, does anyone have any documented ( or personal experience) with RoundUp being lethal to chickens? Yes I have googled it but cannot find anything concrete.


This is definitely a debated topic.  There have been accusations floating around for years that it is more toxic than admitted.  There was a thread on here recently that debated it at length.  http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529573

Ventilation -- may be the most important aspect of coop design

BYC Troubleshooting article -- click here

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due.

14 hatchery and mutt hens

Reply

Ventilation -- may be the most important aspect of coop design

BYC Troubleshooting article -- click here

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due.

14 hatchery and mutt hens

Reply
post #10 of 11

I would have to much of a political answer to this (roundup made by monsanto) but I am going to stay away from my soap box smile . Did they have any symptoms before they passed? Were there any other poisons around? Were they for sure under there?? We usually dont let our dogs out for a few hours after my DH sprays the round up ( much to my dismay) but I am unsure of the effects on chickies.

My life is a wonderful zoo! 1 Jack Russel TONY, 1 Rat Terrier BRIDGET, 1 Porcelain D'uccle (Victor), 2 Easter eggers (Clara and Loraine), 2 evil barred rocks and 2 two month old Speckled Sussex hens (Kate and Pippa).
Reply
My life is a wonderful zoo! 1 Jack Russel TONY, 1 Rat Terrier BRIDGET, 1 Porcelain D'uccle (Victor), 2 Easter eggers (Clara and Loraine), 2 evil barred rocks and 2 two month old Speckled Sussex hens (Kate and Pippa).
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home