For anyone wondering about PFDs (life vests), this is from the PA Fish and boat site.
WHO MUST WEAR A LIFE JACKET?
● All children 12 years of age and younger on all Commonwealth waters must wear a life jacket while underway on any boat 20 feet in length or less and on all canoes and kayaks. Underway” includes drifting boats.
● Anyone towed behind a boat, no matter what the activity and regardless of age, must wear a life jacket.
● All personal watercraft operators and passengers.
● All sailboarders (windsurfers).
● Everyone (regardless of age) boating on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Pittsburgh District lakes, in boats less than 16 feet in length and on all canoes and kayaks.
I always wear one whenever I'm in a boat, but I have one that allows for a lot of freedom of movement (I hope to get inflatable ones soon). My Dad ended up in the Susquehanna the first time he took his bass boat out a few years ago. Thankfully he was right by the shore and, other than finding out he had walking pneumonia, was fine. But it made me a little paranoid, Gavin isn't allowed near any moving/deep water, or on docks without one.