Originally Posted by chippysmom327
That pond is so pretty! The ducks are cuties too!!
Originally Posted by MotorcycleChick
BBG, I hadn't thought about alcohol not hurting your teeth. Good point!
The chicks are most likely EE. The fathers are RIR or Ameraucana.
The kitchen is the next carpet to go.
I know on the family farm (40+ years ago) they used whiskey and shine (they'd place a few gallon jugs with cork toppers in the silo before filling it, when it was empty again the jugs were 3/4 or fuller with about 180 proof) for MANY things. I know whiskey was used for babies cutting teeth and if they had colic, and for mouthwash. Shine was used for cleaning and carburetor starter, among other things. I'll message you bout the chicks. I'm hoping to get all the carpet out of my house. I hate carpet, between all the dirt it holds and how hard it is to get rid of fleas if they get in. Between Gavin and the dogs I've gone through 4 carpet cleaners in 7 years.
Originally Posted by Reyvaughn
Very nice! You are going to come do one for me, too, right? I moved the rest of these guys' siblings to the big pen w/ the big birds. I moved my turkeys to the kennel. Out of 12 BBBs, I have 5 left. I am NEVER getting BBBs again. I'll stick with heritage breeds.
Sorry bout the BBBs. I don't think you have enough of a slope for one like this, sides I only fixed it I didn't build it lol.
Originally Posted by LisaYolkUm
What a great looking pond.!!!!! I can see why the ducks are having so much fun! Its only summer for a little while...............let em play!
Originally Posted by tweetr1979
That looks really good!
Originally Posted by Blarneyeggs WOW! AWESOME pond!
Thanks everyone! Gavin was a HUGE help, he did most of the scrubbing, rinsing and using the shop vac to suck the dirty stuff out. That's the most help he's been all summer . It's been in for 7 years, but maybe 3 of that it's been usable. My mom had it installed (paid way too much for it too) and didn't clean it seasonally or skim it daily so the filter clogged and the pump burned out. So I moved a lot of the stones on the side closest to me in the photo (they're all retaining stones/blocks) so it wouldn't fill up and go stagnant. I did replace them and buy a cheap pump bout a month before the 2011 flood. Thank goodness I had, we had water for flushing and dishes while we didn't have power (ours was out somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks). That pump burned out when the power came back on, so I moved the stones again until yesterday. I got sick of cleaning the kiddie pools everyday, and my yard being muddy as a sty from draining and cleaning them daily, usually twice a day.
The left side has a little garden area with a weeping dwarf cherry (or something like that) and to the right is a domestic honeysuckle bush, and zebra grass (I think that's what it is) behind it on the bank. All of which were put in when the pond was. The chickens and ducks LOVE laying/dusting under tree and bush. I'm guessing the ducks may use the grass come spring, so I need to trim it a bit this fall.
I'm hoping that when we do the fall cleaning I'll have enough to expand it, since I want more web-footed babies. There's a product called Rock-on-a-roll that gives the look of bedrock/boulders, but it's thinner than most pond liners. If you go to the website/google it they have pictures and a video of it's uses, it really does look like stone. Anyway I want to remove the stones against the far bank, and use that rock stuff to make it look like there are naturally protruding boulders there and plant strawberries in between for ground cover, color and of course snacks for Gavin and the birds. I'll use it to hide the liner around the edges too, I might even use it to cover the retaining blocks, make it look liked pieced boulders. The guy I've been emailing from the company said it'll give the ducks that little bit of extra grip to get in and out easier, which was the selling point for me.
Originally Posted by fisherlady
Along with the other 2 methods mentioned I thought I would add the one that has worked for me. I routinely do deviled eggs for family events (sure makes for a great offering and we always can get them fixed without having to go to the store for special ingredients! )
I thought I'd go nuts the first time I tried peeling fresh eggs, then I tried this method mentioned on a thread here on BYC.
Bring your water to a boil, while it is heating use a straight pin or sewing needle to poke a hole in the rounded end of the egg. You only need to poke it in a very short distance, just through the shell. I simply place them pointy side down back into the egg carton until I have all of them done. Then add them to the boiling water and set your timer to 14 minutes. (I prefer my eggs very hard boiled for my deviled eggs, shorten the time if you are looking for softer boiled eggs)
Once your timer goes off then drain off the hot water, and refill the pot with cold sink water and let it run over till it is reasonably cool. Then simply roll the egg on the counter to break open/loosen the shell and peel. I rarely have a stubborn egg now, even use the eggs laid that day without problem.
Finding that tip on BYC has saved me untold hours of frustration when peeling eggs!
Thanks for sharing! I always have problems peeling eggs, no matter how fresh or old.