So upset right now day 20 for Cookie's eggs and I come home from being out all day and she's on the wrong nest I'm trying to be hopeful but the eggs were cold. I'm thinking that we may have lost them all. I want to candle tonight but they're all dark eggs. How long should I wait for them to hatch to give them a chance before tossing them?
if you weren't 3 1/2 hours away from me, I'd be all over that. That would be such an awesome start for a second coop or even an extention to the one I have
Don't give up hope... Gracie just had a hatch and she spent her entire brood in the main coop in an egg box.... twice she was pushed out by bigger hens and we found her either setting on 1 or 2 eggs in the front corner of the box (evidently she managed to snag a couple in the process of being pushed out) while the rest of her eggs were burried in hay or scattered in the rest of the box by the other hen. Once she was in the wrong box entirely when DH got home from work. Obviously these scenarios, like yours, weren't good for the eggs! On day 15 I found 1 egg which had been partially broken on the air end right at the junction of the membrane to the rest of the egg. Looked like it had been stepped on and a toe went through the egg. I actually just put a cellophane tape patch over it and gave it back to her since I didn't see any blood on it. Well, long story short.... she hatched 6/6 on Thursday night/Friday morning and all are doing well.
I can't promise you that your hatch won't be affected, because obviously there is a chance it was... but I am just letting you know that there is still hope and I wouldn't give up till after day 23 or so. If they are back under her and warmed back up you just never know.