BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Pennsylvania!! Unite!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pennsylvania!! Unite!! - Page 6573

post #65721 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos18 View Post


Sorry I'm of no help with that but I hope the kids enjoy there new horse gig.gif

We haven't decided yet. We need to know if we can afford to keep him. A guy that my husband works with has a 7 year old that he's giving away to a good home. He doesn't get along with other horses.
Cream Crested Legbars, bearded silkies, Welbars, lavender ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani

Turkeys:Bourbon red/buff, red bronze, royal palm, mottled black, and any color in between!

Muscovy Ducks

I also make hen saddles, PM me for details!

www.onemountainacres.weebly.com
Reply
Cream Crested Legbars, bearded silkies, Welbars, lavender ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani

Turkeys:Bourbon red/buff, red bronze, royal palm, mottled black, and any color in between!

Muscovy Ducks

I also make hen saddles, PM me for details!

www.onemountainacres.weebly.com
Reply
post #65722 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroradream26 View Post


We haven't decided yet. We need to know if we can afford to keep him. A guy that my husband works with has a 7 year old that he's giving away to a good home. He doesn't get along with other horses.


You are killing me.

They are as expensive as you want them to be. Space depends on how you are going to exercise them. I know your kids will want to ride often, so space is less of a factor. Though dimensions are not something I can offer.

Cost for simply owning/caring for one isn't too bad. You can get away with about $150/month I believe. I remember checking two years ago.

I AM THE OWNER OF ABI'S COFFEE HOUSE. 

MANAGER, HEATHERFEATHER7

COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT, CHAOS18

POISON CONTROL, MELTEL

Reply

I AM THE OWNER OF ABI'S COFFEE HOUSE. 

MANAGER, HEATHERFEATHER7

COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT, CHAOS18

POISON CONTROL, MELTEL

Reply
post #65723 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleChick View Post


You are killing me.
They are as expensive as you want them to be. Space depends on how you are going to exercise them. I know your kids will want to ride often, so space is less of a factor. Though dimensions are not something I can offer.
Cost for simply owning/caring for one isn't too bad. You can get away with about $150/month I believe. I remember checking two years ago.

He would get ridden ask the time...once he was saddle broke
Cream Crested Legbars, bearded silkies, Welbars, lavender ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani

Turkeys:Bourbon red/buff, red bronze, royal palm, mottled black, and any color in between!

Muscovy Ducks

I also make hen saddles, PM me for details!

www.onemountainacres.weebly.com
Reply
Cream Crested Legbars, bearded silkies, Welbars, lavender ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani

Turkeys:Bourbon red/buff, red bronze, royal palm, mottled black, and any color in between!

Muscovy Ducks

I also make hen saddles, PM me for details!

www.onemountainacres.weebly.com
Reply
post #65724 of 69402

DH was all for getting Duckling a horse. And my mini cows. Oh well.

I AM THE OWNER OF ABI'S COFFEE HOUSE. 

MANAGER, HEATHERFEATHER7

COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT, CHAOS18

POISON CONTROL, MELTEL

Reply

I AM THE OWNER OF ABI'S COFFEE HOUSE. 

MANAGER, HEATHERFEATHER7

COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT, CHAOS18

POISON CONTROL, MELTEL

Reply
post #65725 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroradream26 View Post

He would get ridden ask the time...once he was saddle broke

Housing requires minimum of 10x10 inside box stall unless horse is out every day (in paddock or field, some area to move freely), then 5x10 standing stall would work but not ideal.

Check local pricing and availability for farrier and large animal vet who would come to your property for emergency treatment. Vet at least once a year, farrier 3x year if you are able to do basic foot care in between visits, more often if the horse has any odd foot problems and requires constant shoes or special trimming.

Find local prices for hay and straw, figure 25 bales of straw yearly per horse for bedding and about 1/3 to 1/2 bale of hay daily if the horse isn't on good pasture. My mom's horses have 25 acres of grazing pasture but still use 75-100 bale of hay a year apiece due to not having ability to graze over winter.

Oats and corn are based on size and exercise amounts, but during winter moms get about a coffe can apiece 2x day of grain mix. So figure a couple hundred pounds over winter.

So cost needs figured on many variables, and they require a lot of work twice a day, every day. Hauling water twice a day (they drink a lot), cleaning stall daily, exercise and brushing regularly. Even overnight trips can create a need for someone to stop in and check on the horse for food/water unless you have a set up which allows access to running water and great grazing.

I grew up with horses, and they are awesome animals, but they aren't cheap (farrier and vet bills in particular) and they are work. Wether they are 'worth it' or not is something only an individual can decide.
post #65726 of 69402
I am 2 weeks behind here, but am wondering...anyone else outside tarping runs like mad with frozen fingers?? Seems as if every year I am still tying tarps in place as the sleet starts....and my family is warm and cozy inside. I am thawing out a bit and have learned to tie the cords onto the tarps while INSIDE. Steep learning curve there for me.

Raising Partridge Orpingtons, Polish, BC Marans, White Marans and Nigerian Dwarfs in Southern Chester County.



Peeps in PA can be found on the Pennsylvania!! Unite!! Thread
Reply

Raising Partridge Orpingtons, Polish, BC Marans, White Marans and Nigerian Dwarfs in Southern Chester County.



Peeps in PA can be found on the Pennsylvania!! Unite!! Thread
Reply
post #65727 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganberk View Post
 

Does anyone heat their coops? Im worried about the girls in this frigid cold. this is my first year with chickens

Don't be! They adjust quite well.  Remmeber they have a much higher body temp than us, and have a down jacket on all the time.  Protected from wind, drafts, and moisture, they do quite well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheltzel View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneInTheBurbs View Post


So sorry for your loss. hugs.gif. It's such a terrible time of the year to lose someone.
X2! I know it will be very chilly tonight, but my coop is much better now that it's insulated!

I think I lost a chicken. When I just came home, some of my chooks were outside the chicken door, laying on the ramp. roll.png There was a turkey with them too and the Tom turkey was underneath the ramp. When I got everyone inside, I found I was missing a CCL. sad.png. She could have gotten snatched earlier, but I can't imagine even if she was alive that she would make it through the night. I wonder if something spooked them at dusk, or if the door closed earlier than usual. I have it set for the light settings, not at a scheduled time.

On the plus side, I think I may have gotten my first turkey egg. @dheltzel, what do you think? It's much bigger than my other girls have been laying. Unfortunately, it froze a bit and cracked.

 


Yup, looks like a Midget White turkey egg.

Sorry about the Legbar. If she is out there and finds a protected area, she might very well show up tomorrow :fl

Cool! Maybe next year I will have a few poults to raise.

 

 

She came back! I have no idea where she was, I looked all over this morning for signs of a struggle and came up with nothing.  Then, as I was giving them some treats before work, I thought I saw an extra one.  So I counted, and lo and behold, the fourth CCL was there!  She is the runt of the CCLs that I have, so it just goes to show their hardiness.  She is not even full grown, and I believe last night was the coldest night we have had so far.  :weee  Wonder where she was hiding!  My hubby and I looked for a while last night with flashlights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherlady View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleChick View Post

hugs.gifhugs.gif
Need me to watch your ducks? 🦆 🦆

Thank you for the offer but thankfully he lived local to us so we are ok for animal care. hugs.gif
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneInTheBurbs View Post

So sorry for your loss. hugs.gif. It's such a terrible time of the year to lose someone.
X2! I know it will be very chilly tonight, but my coop is much better now that it's insulated!

I think I lost a chicken. When I just came home, some of my chooks were outside the chicken door, laying on the ramp. roll.png There was a turkey with them too and the Tom turkey was underneath the ramp. When I got everyone inside, I found I was missing a CCL. sad.png. She could have gotten snatched earlier, but I can't imagine even if she was alive that she would make it through the night. I wonder if something spooked them at dusk, or if the door closed earlier than usual. I have it set for the light settings, not at a scheduled time.

On the plus side, I think I may have gotten my first turkey egg. @dheltzel, what do you think? It's much bigger than my other girls have been laying. Unfortunately, it froze a bit and cracked.

 
Thank you for the condolences, this time of year does seem to amplify the loss, which is never easy to begin with...DH's family seems really bad for this. In the last 3 years we lost my mother in law and a brother in law on Thanksgiving weeks and his nephew the week before Christmas last year.

I do hope the CCL shows up tomorrow in the daylight! fl.gif

She came back!!! :ep:celebrate

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prpjewel View Post

I was thinking lately about the tiny cardinals and woodpeckers that frequent my woods. If they can brave the cold, our big babies should be fine. And the majority of those birds don't even have a sheltered coop with shavings. Just my opinion.

 

Good point! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos18 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroradream26 View Post

Anyone who has or who ever has had a horse, what do they cost roughly to keep? And how much space to they need, stable wise.


Sorry I'm of no help with that but I hope the kids enjoy there new horse :gig

:yuckyuck

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. -Henry Ford
Owner of one Pitbull mix dog, one Red Lored Amazon, one Timneh African Grey, one Eclectus parrot, and one very tolerant husband. Starting over with a new flock. So far, some Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, Blue Egg Laying Black Sex Links, California Grays, Wellbars, White Turkeys and other assorted chickies.
Reply
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. -Henry Ford
Owner of one Pitbull mix dog, one Red Lored Amazon, one Timneh African Grey, one Eclectus parrot, and one very tolerant husband. Starting over with a new flock. So far, some Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, Blue Egg Laying Black Sex Links, California Grays, Wellbars, White Turkeys and other assorted chickies.
Reply
post #65728 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarneyeggs View Post

I am 2 weeks behind here, but am wondering...anyone else outside tarping runs like mad with frozen fingers?? Seems as if every year I am still tying tarps in place as the sleet starts....and my family is warm and cozy inside. I am thawing out a bit and have learned to tie the cords onto the tarps while INSIDE. Steep learning curve there for me.

I'll be doing that this weekend, hopefully after the rains stops and it warms up for a few hours.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. -Henry Ford
Owner of one Pitbull mix dog, one Red Lored Amazon, one Timneh African Grey, one Eclectus parrot, and one very tolerant husband. Starting over with a new flock. So far, some Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, Blue Egg Laying Black Sex Links, California Grays, Wellbars, White Turkeys and other assorted chickies.
Reply
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. -Henry Ford
Owner of one Pitbull mix dog, one Red Lored Amazon, one Timneh African Grey, one Eclectus parrot, and one very tolerant husband. Starting over with a new flock. So far, some Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, Blue Egg Laying Black Sex Links, California Grays, Wellbars, White Turkeys and other assorted chickies.
Reply
post #65729 of 69402

We've decided that we're not quite ready to add a horse to our little "farm" BUT we will in the future. We need to get prepared first. If anyone is interested though, we know someone who is giving one away. He's 7 years old and gelded. Doesn't get along well with other horses and isn't broke to ride yet.

 

So, my babies are in their brooder in the screen porch and It's a grand total of 8 degrees out. They only have 1 heat lamp on the one side of the brooder. The other side is as cold as it is outside. Would you believe that there are a few of them hanging out on the cold side, roosting on the little roost over there? They're more hardy than I thought. They're from 4-7 weeks old!


Edited by Auroradream26 - 12/16/16 at 7:28am
Cream Crested Legbars, bearded silkies, Welbars, lavender ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani

Turkeys:Bourbon red/buff, red bronze, royal palm, mottled black, and any color in between!

Muscovy Ducks

I also make hen saddles, PM me for details!

www.onemountainacres.weebly.com
Reply
Cream Crested Legbars, bearded silkies, Welbars, lavender ameraucanas, Ayam Cemani

Turkeys:Bourbon red/buff, red bronze, royal palm, mottled black, and any color in between!

Muscovy Ducks

I also make hen saddles, PM me for details!

www.onemountainacres.weebly.com
Reply
post #65730 of 69402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroradream26 View Post
 

We've decided that we're not quite ready to add a horse to our little "farm" BUT we will in the future. We need to get prepared first. If anyone is interested though, we know someone who is giving one away. He's 7 years old and gelded. Doesn't get along well with other horses and isn't broke to ride yet.

 

So, my babies are in their brooder in the screen porch and It's a grand total of 8 degrees out. They only have 1 heat lamp on the one side of the brooder. The other side is as cold as it is outside. Would you believe that there are a few of them hanging out on the cold side, roosting on the little roost over there? They're more hardy than I thought. They're from 4-7 weeks old!


That's awesome about the chicks.  They are tougher than we give them credit for.  I remember when my broody hatched out babies in the cold and how they would scurry out, play, and go back under her.  You'd think their little feet would be too cold!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. -Henry Ford
Owner of one Pitbull mix dog, one Red Lored Amazon, one Timneh African Grey, one Eclectus parrot, and one very tolerant husband. Starting over with a new flock. So far, some Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, Blue Egg Laying Black Sex Links, California Grays, Wellbars, White Turkeys and other assorted chickies.
Reply
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. -Henry Ford
Owner of one Pitbull mix dog, one Red Lored Amazon, one Timneh African Grey, one Eclectus parrot, and one very tolerant husband. Starting over with a new flock. So far, some Olive Eggers, Cream Legbars, Blue Egg Laying Black Sex Links, California Grays, Wellbars, White Turkeys and other assorted chickies.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Pennsylvania!! Unite!!