Not my favorite comb but you can work on it . Select for better combs . As you breed your own you will have to make choices and compensate for weak points . Paired with good combs on hens will help..
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 9/13/16 at 1:28pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE Last post on Yesterday at 8:53 pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Cashs Blue Eggs and Araucanas Lanae Cash Willits, CA 95490 email@example.com Last post on 12/17/15 at 6:19pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Cochin or Easter egger hatcheries in Pa. ? Last post on 8/22/16 at 8:01pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- ?'s about easter eggers or ameraucanas or araucanas, help Last post on 3/23/16 at 1:54pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- The Chicken ChapelLast edited: 7/5/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Cloverleaf FarmLast edited: 8/2/12
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
I bought a one of these this summer. It is fantastic. It will pluck 2 birds in 10-15 seconds. My son in law and I cleaned 20 birds in less than 90 minutes. At the end of 90 minutes they were...
Mini Ecos are a great choice for those who want a quality small incubator but don't want to break the bank. Although you will have to turn the eggs yourself and the temperature readout is not...
A Brinsea Mini was my first incubator and it will be my last too. It is a high quality small incubator for the backyard hobbyist; no, you can't hatch a ton of chicks out of it, but it's ideal for...
Can't seem to get any tech support. Can't seem to reset it. Alarm was very annoying while trying to figure out why it won't climb to set temps.
I have one specific polish that I have owned for over five years now and she is still my favorite bird. She (and all of the other polish) will perch on my shoulder and will literally act...
Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds - Page 2836post #28351 of 3483711/25/15 at 3:54pmQuote:Charter member of the Ameraucana Alliance. Helped develop the breed.Charter member of the Ameraucana Alliance. Helped develop the breed.
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #28352 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:08pmQuote:
I don't know if you've seen my boys, and I don't have any recent pics, but here they are about a month ago. Thay aren't getting any taller, but the necks and chests are starting to fill out more. I will try and get better pics tomorrow. They were early May chicks. If they get anywhere near the size of samouws rooster, I will be happy. The blue has a little leakage in a few feathers in his saddle, so he is getting some BCM hens, but the black looks pretty good and the splash is really looking nice. He has the best shape of them all.post #28353 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:22pmQuote:
Thanks....I rehomed this roo..... he was headed for the chicken and dumplings pot. None of my other young roos stepped up to lead the flock and I realized he had been working pretty hard managing things. I rescued him and brought him home again. He has some things I really like and for now he does a good job. He can be tough but he has a live and let live attitude for the most part. I hope to have a new batch of Ams in the spring. In the meantime I am enjoying these. They are very entertaining.
From the beginning I had a tough time trying to figure out his comb. I appreciate the feedback and advice!
Cream Legbars, Black Copper Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers and an Araucana with a tail.post #28354 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:23pmpost #28355 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:24pmpost #28356 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by jerryse
Jerryse, I read on BYC that if you breed to a Lavender the result is no longer an Ameraucana but an Easter Egger. I don't understand..... if you breed an Ameraucana to an Ameraucana.... why isn't it considered a pure Am
This information is spread mostly to discourage random breeding . Lavender is a project color . So not accepted into the standard yet . They are shown in the AOV class . Any other variety . They can not win best of breed . They can go to best of variety or best AOV . Lavender is bred to black to improve them .
.A skilled breeder can do this to improve or create . Newbies just make a mess of things when they do this .. So it is discouraged .
As a example Mike Gilbert created blue wheaten bantams by crossing blue and wheaten . This can take 5 or more generations of breeding back to wheaten to get a good blue wheaten . Not a quick process . Newbies are always asking if they create blue wheaten this way . No not in the first cross . Why reinvent something that exists .
I believe in color families . These can be crossed with no problems . The black family includes black , blue ,splash , white if based on black , lavender , cuckoo and lavender cuckoo . Blue and lavender should not be bred together and barring should not be added to white .
Wheaten family is wheaten , blue wheaten , splash wheaten . Wheaten is some times used on buff but it is a long process to get back to good buff .
Thank you.... this makes sense. I rehomed my lavender roo. I had read things about feather quality.... etc. Maybe when I know more!
Cream Legbars, Black Copper Marans, Cuckoo Marans, Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers and an Araucana with a tail.post #28357 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:38pmpost #28358 of 3483711/25/15 at 4:58pmScflock, that's really neat! I ordered chicks from Max Strawn, he shows them a lott also and his birds r from Paul Smith! I have even already pai. Mine I ordered 15, 5 blacks, 5 blues, & 5 blue wheatens. I'm so excited! They will be shipped first week in March!
I have a flock of 14, I am such an animal lover, these r lucky chickens cause they will never end up being eaten. I just love them way too much! I dont have any Ameraucanas yet but love love love my sweet girls! I have them all so tamed down! I can pick any one of them up at any given time. They are so spoiled!post #28359 of 3483711/25/15 at 11:54pmpost #28360 of 3483711/26/15 at 4:36am
- The Chicken Chapel
- › Good afternoon. Finally joined.... questions 10 seconds ago
- › Does my chicken have Bumblefoot? 16 seconds ago
- › Brown/Dusty Combs? (New chicken owner) 20 seconds ago
- › Are 12 week old puletts old enough for cold weather in coop? 59 seconds ago
- › October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!! 1 minute ago
- › Hailing from North Florida 1 minute ago
- › Chickens Crop 1 minute ago
- › Disabled Flock Members 2 minutes ago
- › Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat -... 2 minutes ago
- › Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern 3 minutes ago
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.