Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- looking for opinions on breeds Last post on 4/9/16 at 3:15am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Anyone have any idea what breed she is? Last post on 9/15/12 at 6:12pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Need help with breeds! Last post on 3/9/13 at 8:17am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Buff Orpington, Australorps, Welsummers and Plymouth Rock?? Last post on 4/10/14 at 6:05am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Posting on behalf of a co-worker - need help determining breed :) Last post on 5/4/12 at 6:50am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Plymouth Rock Barred By Chicks ChickensLast edited: 1/10/12
- Plymouth Rock BlueLast edited: 1/10/12
Can't seem to get any tech support. Can't seem to reset it. Alarm was very annoying while trying to figure out why it won't climb to set temps.
I have one specific polish that I have owned for over five years now and she is still my favorite bird. She (and all of the other polish) will perch on my shoulder and will literally act...
My 8 White Leghorn pullets are the friendliest breed I have ever raised. And I have raised quite a few breeds, and some of my breeds include Silkies, EE's, Brahma's, Australorps, etc. But still, my...
I purchased the Premium Chickenguard controller box only about 4 months ago. The motor can handle 2.2lbs and my aluminum door only weight .8lb, which heavy enough to close the door. I purchased...
Very good breed. I have one Buff Brahma pullet named Annika. Like I said up there she's very sweet and gentle towards people butt gets bullied easily by my older hens but she's still a baby so...
Plymouth Rock thread! - Page 651post #6502 of 658712/3/15 at 5:17pmpost #6503 of 658712/13/15 at 8:14pmpost #6504 of 658712/14/15 at 3:35ampost #6505 of 658712/14/15 at 4:46ampost #6506 of 658712/27/15 at 9:17pmpost #6507 of 65871/19/16 at 7:37amHello all. I am looking for a breeder who has the Stuckey line of barred rocks. I am interested in getting some chicks or hatching eggs. Pm me if you have them or know who does. Thanks!Mom of 3 girls, 1 calico cat, 7 spoiled silkies, a coop full of terrorists and the start of a Heritage RIR flock. Love cheeps!!!Mom of 3 girls, 1 calico cat, 7 spoiled silkies, a coop full of terrorists and the start of a Heritage RIR flock. Love cheeps!!!post #6508 of 65872/1/16 at 4:54pm
Hi everyone, this is my Barred Plymouth Rock hen, Bumblebee. She's a little more than a year old, has never laid an egg (apparently that's normal if the Rock is too fat, which she definitely is (or was)), and has always been a little out of it and unsociable. This, unfortunately, means that she's at the bottom of the pecking order and is bullied quite badly. I suspect that the other hens aren't letting her eat or drink, and she's become listless and subdued, so I've put her in daycare in the hens' teenage coop with some food and water, with the hope that she'll perk up again (as much as she can, what with being a general stick in the mud).
She's in isolation at the moment because the other four hens are relentlessly bullying her, and have been for weeks. My Isabrown is visible in the background being concerned.
Her left eye is perfectly normal, but her right eye is, and always has been, elongated and more like a rounded square. It's been like that since adolescence. She also has a swollen growth on one of her feet which has never hindered her. However, she's been acting very erratically lately. Today, when I couldn't find her with the other hens, I found her behind my house, wedged between the wall and an old sink trough, seemingly fine, but not responding to my voice, which the hens have learned is usually followed by the eating of delicious treats.
I took her inside and fed her some water with a syringe, and fed her some rolled oats. I've been noticing lately that the other hens (not one of them a fellow Rock) don't let her have their morning oats with them, and by the time they lose interest and leave, she's already been out in the garden, foraging, and doesn't go back in.
Her comb is startlingly pale (it looks pink in the light above, but it's very watered down). I've read that that's got something to do with dehydration, so hopefully she'll drink lots of water in daycare.
I'm wondering, even though this isn't a disease or emergencies thread, if anyone has ever experienced this kind of behaviour with this breed? She's never laid an egg in her life, so I don't think she's egg bound. We have some liquid calcium that we can feed her, would that help?
Any replies would be appreciated.
Edited by robotichickens - 2/1/16 at 4:54pmpost #6509 of 65872/5/16 at 6:26pmpost #6510 of 65872/17/16 at 2:28pm
We are picking from our Silver pencil Plymouth rock chickens to enter into the youth fair. Standard of perfection says A disqualification is shanks and toes other than yellow or dusky yellow. Do you think these are yellow enough for show? We have another with lighter legs, but her body type and penciling is not nearly as nice. I really want my son to pick the bird with the best chance of qualifying. Opinions please, we are washing up chickens now and need guidance! Thanks
- Farm Daze
- › What can I feed my 2 month old red bourbon turkey 1 minute ago
- › Could they be...all girls? 4 minutes ago
- › Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2 4 minutes ago
- › in this random rambling thread we post random pictures 4 minutes ago
- › Is she molting?! 6 minutes ago
- › Mountain Peeps's Chat Thread...Continued! 9 minutes ago
- › Free range chickens 9 minutes ago
- › When Do Button Quail Chicks Start Eating? 14 minutes ago
- › BYC Café 15 minutes ago
- › Day 18 15 minutes ago
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.