New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Popcorn? (unpopped)

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

See I have this bottle of "popcorn seeds" as we call them. Problem is our popcorn popper broke, so now I never go through the trouble to pop the loose kind anymore. It's just sitting in the pantry. Since I don't cook it for myself, I sure wouldn't cook it for the birds. . . .but I was wondering if they can eat it whole/unpopped?
They eat corn, it's kinda the same right?

One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
post #2 of 24

I'm not sure that this would be good for your chickens as what corn is normally fed is "cracked corn".  I'm not sure how easy this would be for a chicken to digest.  It may be too hard.

Christina

Married to DH for 21 years, DS 18,  mom of golden retrievers--Harley and Mia, and my 17 girls--Barred Rocks, a Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, a Gold Laced Wyandotte, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delawares, Cuckoo Marans, a Black Australorp, and Twiggy---our Welsummer, who laid the prettiest eggs ever, but left for chickie heaven today, where they never, ever run out of raisins.
Reply
Married to DH for 21 years, DS 18,  mom of golden retrievers--Harley and Mia, and my 17 girls--Barred Rocks, a Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, a Gold Laced Wyandotte, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delawares, Cuckoo Marans, a Black Australorp, and Twiggy---our Welsummer, who laid the prettiest eggs ever, but left for chickie heaven today, where they never, ever run out of raisins.
Reply
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 

My chickens eat deer corn, it's not cracked. It's hard, but not quite popcorn hard -- which is why I thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried it.

One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
post #4 of 24

Many pigeon grain mixes have popcorn included in them, so I think it would be fine.  I plan on feeding an old bag of Jolly Time popcorn to mine.  If they can eat whole kernels of field corn, the smaller popcorn should be no problem.

post #5 of 24

We've never fed unpopped popcorn to ours - so, no experience with it.

But you can pop it in the microwave for yourself/family or chickens to eat . Put 1/4 cup kernels in a paper lunch bag. Fold top over a couple times. Stand bag in microwave, cook on "High" for a couple minutes or use "popcorn" setting. Watch it closely, you may find it doesn't take as long as store bought microwave popcorn. You can add melted butter, salt, grated parmesean cheese, etc.

post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy in PA 

Many pigeon grain mixes have popcorn included in them, so I think it would be fine.  I plan on feeding an old bag of Jolly Time popcorn to mine.  If they can eat whole kernels of field corn, the smaller popcorn should be no problem.


thumbsup


You will be fine.. My chickens eat pigeon grain as a scratch grain and it had popcorn in it..

Chris

 

NPIP # 31-516
Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities http://sppa.webs.com/

Breeding Large Fowl Single and Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds to APA Standard


"I know of no pursuit in which more real and important services can be rendered to any country than by improving its agriculture, its breed of useful animals, and other branches of a husbandman's cares." – 

George Washington

Reply

 

NPIP # 31-516
Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities http://sppa.webs.com/

Breeding Large Fowl Single and Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds to APA Standard


"I know of no pursuit in which more real and important services can be rendered to any country than by improving its agriculture, its breed of useful animals, and other branches of a husbandman's cares." – 

George Washington

Reply
post #7 of 24

Many gamefowl breeders feed popcorn in their feed blends. It is more nutritious than even whole corn and, as long as the birds have access to grit, it can easily be digested.

One thing I should mention as this thread has mentioned it. Cracked corn should only be used as treats. Corn looses its nutritional value rapidly after being cracked and after only three days, it`s about as nutritious as feeding dirt. Whole corn is around 12% protien and in only 3 days, cracked corn is down to 7 or maybe 6%, depending on the type of corn. I don`t have the nutritional info for pop corn, but it is definately better than most whole corns and way better than cacked corn. Caution, make sure your pop corn is not moldy..........Pop

In God We Trust

Siyah Rampuri Asil, White Chinese, Emden, and African Geese, Guineas, a Rottweiler (Bella), and a Yellow Lab (Booger). Fifty five years with chickens and still learning.

Reply

In God We Trust

Siyah Rampuri Asil, White Chinese, Emden, and African Geese, Guineas, a Rottweiler (Bella), and a Yellow Lab (Booger). Fifty five years with chickens and still learning.

Reply
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_NC 

We've never fed unpopped popcorn to ours - so, no experience with it.

But you can pop it in the microwave for yourself/family or chickens to eat . Put 1/4 cup kernels in a paper lunch bag. Fold top over a couple times. Stand bag in microwave, cook on "High" for a couple minutes or use "popcorn" setting. Watch it closely, you may find it doesn't take as long as store bought microwave popcorn. You can add melted butter, salt, grated parmesean cheese, etc.


Thank you for this tip.  I will try it on my popcorn!

6 Black Australorps, one house cat, citrus trees, raised bed square foot garden.  Recently added 6 straight run sex link chicks and 14 EE.
Reply
6 Black Australorps, one house cat, citrus trees, raised bed square foot garden.  Recently added 6 straight run sex link chicks and 14 EE.
Reply
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop 

Many gamefowl breeders feed popcorn in their feed blends. It is more nutritious than even whole corn and, as long as the birds have access to grit, it can easily be digested.

One thing I should mention as this thread has mentioned it. Cracked corn should only be used as treats. Corn looses its nutritional value rapidly after being cracked and after only three days, it`s about as nutritious as feeding dirt. Whole corn is around 12% protien and in only 3 days, cracked corn is down to 7 or maybe 6%, depending on the type of corn. I don`t have the nutritional info for pop corn, but it is definately better than most whole corns and way better than cacked corn. Caution, make sure your pop corn is not moldy..........Pop


Cracked corn does not loose it nutritional value as you stated. If you believe this so much prove it. Due not use wiki eather you will atomaticaly loose.

post #10 of 24

Everytime my wife wants popcorn I end up making way way too much, the excess goes to the chickens, including unpopped kernals...  I still have all 25 of my birds and they are pumping out an egg a day each minimum.

Not attributing the egg laying to the popcorn....just happy chickens..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feeding & Watering Your Flock