Well my fingers feel like jelly. Hahaha. Who knew it would be so much work to hang wood and staple on some hardware cloth! But I guess this is what happens when you do it all on your own. Lots of lifting and stretching and swearing. Went thru 1,000 staples....and still am not done. Only stopped because I ran out of staples and it started to rain. Have one panel left to enclose. So close! Then it will be trimming some spots that have extra wire and then making it look pretty.
Need to do a little more predator proofing around the lower corners. I have a bunch of 8 by 16 inch pavers and standard sized grey bricks (you can see them in the aviary scattered on the ground) that I am going to place against the outside bottom wood rail of the aviary on all three sides to keep critters from digging under. You can sort of see in one of the photos that I have some hardware cloth coming out from under the lower board on the wide/grass side of the aviary. I will probably bury that at some sort of an angle into the ground before I place my pavers and bricks on top. The other (shorter) sides don't have any extra hardware cloth running out/under, so those sides will really need some good brick work. I will figure something out. I have a ton of extra hardware cloth, so maybe I will dig a trench inside the walls and bury some wire straight down.
Anyway....thanks for looking. I will post more when I have more of this completed.
Ohh....and for those who were following along with my prior posts about this project, I did end up stapling directly into my house siding. I know it is far from ideal....but there was not really a way for me to close off the gaps made by my siding. I did sink a 4 by 4 post as the house side of my door frame, but even sinking that right flush with the house leaves a gap where the horizontal siding overlaps itself. So even where I sunk that 4 by 4, I still ended up tacking hardware cloth to the post as well as the house siding. Similar for the opposite side of the aviary. Even though I tried to sink a post close to the house, there were still unavoidable gaps I had to close with wire. I am not THAT concerned about it because whoever owned this house before me must have gone thru about 7 cable/internet/phone companies. There are so many wires tacked to, or going in/out of my siding. Add to that the exterminator who had to drill a hole between EVERY SINGLE stud on the exterior of my house (thanks carpenter ants!), that means I already had a hole every 16 inches all the way around. So adding some staples in to the mix is the least of my concerns
Edited by paneubert - 3/25/16 at 8:14am