I do not have a lot of experience with short legged chickens; I have noticed with my short legged chicks that motion becomes more hindered with age. I hope I am wrong in this, but I do not think your chick's legs will get better; instead they will be worse as the body and weight increases.
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Japanese BlackLast edited: 1/10/12
- Japanese Grey Tail Buff Japanese SultanLast edited: 1/10/12
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Japanese Bantam Thread! - Page 236
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #2352 of 267311/20/15 at 7:50amQuote:
Do you think it is because of the shortness of the legs, or does it maybe have another problem... such as splay let or slipped tendon or other leg issues? Could you share a pic?Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!post #2353 of 267311/20/15 at 9:18ampost #2354 of 267311/20/15 at 9:26amAwww how cute!!
I'm thinking I read something about the short leg gene could be fatal if 2 short-leggeds are mated together. Is it possible that both parents were short legged? Maybe you got a survivor?
Sorry I can't offer any help as to what to do, but that's one adorable chick, so I hope it works out!Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!post #2355 of 267311/20/15 at 9:35ampost #2356 of 267311/20/15 at 9:39am
I just did a quick search, its a particular short-legged gene, called a creeper gene in "some" short legged birds. But it sounds uncommon, so that's probably not it. Should be interesting to see what happens with her though! Good luck! Would love to see progress pics of her occasionally!post #2357 of 267311/20/15 at 10:08ampost #2358 of 267311/20/15 at 10:28ampost #2359 of 267311/20/15 at 10:36am
Is that an egg tooth? When did this chick hatch? Can you post a picture of this chick standing up on its feet? From what I can see its legs look like my short legged serama who also walk like penguins. I believe you have a regular short legged Japanese bantam. Short legs are desired in that breed. I sure wish I had that chick!post #2360 of 267311/20/15 at 12:35pm
- Farm Daze
- › Quotes and thoughts for the day 16 seconds ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 33 seconds ago
- › Clucksville elementary! 37 seconds ago
- › Duck eye infection 1 minute ago
- › Horse Talk 2 minutes ago
- › Should I buy eggs or wait it out? 3 minutes ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 3 minutes ago
- › Two Lies, One Truth ~ The Game 5 minutes ago
- › Wondering if my pekin has botulism 5 minutes ago
- › *sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em) 6 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Coq au Vin
- › Most Intelligent Peep🐔🐓🐤 Testing Stats
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page