Additionally if you're interested in breeding to SOP then attention to colors is important as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 9/13/16 at 1:28pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- ?'s about easter eggers or ameraucanas or araucanas, help Last post on 3/23/16 at 1:54pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- To Make An Olive Egger......Legbar????? Last post on 7/5/16 at 2:47pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Easter Eggers Last post on 6/7/15 at 11:34am in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
- Easter Eggers Last post on 1/6/14 at 3:56pm in New Member Introductions
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- The Chicken ChapelLast edited: 7/5/13
- The ComedihensLast edited: 4/25/13
- Cloverleaf FarmLast edited: 8/2/12
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
Can't seem to get any tech support. Can't seem to reset it. Alarm was very annoying while trying to figure out why it won't climb to set temps.
I have one specific polish that I have owned for over five years now and she is still my favorite bird. She (and all of the other polish) will perch on my shoulder and will literally act...
My 8 White Leghorn pullets are the friendliest breed I have ever raised. And I have raised quite a few breeds, and some of my breeds include Silkies, EE's, Brahma's, Australorps, etc. But still, my...
I purchased the Premium Chickenguard controller box only about 4 months ago. The motor can handle 2.2lbs and my aluminum door only weight .8lb, which heavy enough to close the door. I purchased...
Very good breed. I have one Buff Brahma pullet named Annika. Like I said up there she's very sweet and gentle towards people butt gets bullied easily by my older hens but she's still a baby so...
Araucana thread anyone? - Page 895post #8942 of 91872/3/16 at 11:40amNo I'm not breeding for color( since I don't have roosters and hen in all/any colors) But I guess other people might care when buying? I sell chicks as Araucana's I just want to be sure I'm not selling something that they are not.. We are having a Bad hatch rate( due to not being fertile) but we do hatch out and I love all the different colors I get out of them... And I have gotten about even double tufted to none tufted out of my birds is this normal? And one more question my hens have been having a hard time with constant fertile eggs( could I have a roo problem or a hen problem?) I now have a second roo in the mix and I keep butts(around vents) trimmed regularly... Just wondering what I can to to fix this problem since my hen just started laying again for the year. Thanks for all the help 😀
Edited by alaska6kelly - 2/3/16 at 11:43ampost #8943 of 91872/3/16 at 11:49am
The breed is notorious for poor fertility (due to rumplessness) and poor hatch rates (due to the tufted genes). Any offspring getting a tufted gene from both parents will die in the shell at day 18.
You are not selling them as anything that they are not but with the current colors you have you are not helping to breed towards SOP. Given what you have you could easily breed whites as they are typically dominant white. Just hold back a white cockerel to breed back to your white hen.
If you were close to me I would certainly take some off your hands - I am always looking to expand my flock!post #8944 of 91872/3/16 at 12:36pmI have yet to get a white chick off these guys.. My roo is a gold duckwing? I'm not sure if it matters I would keep a black or white if I got mine a throwing that rooster colors in hens as well... I wish I could find a rooster in either white or black to pair off some of my hens with them thanks for all the info...post #8945 of 91872/3/16 at 12:36pmpost #8946 of 91872/3/16 at 12:39pmpost #8947 of 91872/3/16 at 12:43pmpost #8948 of 91872/3/16 at 8:38pmQuote:
not all people want show quality and you are doing well saying mixed colour not show quality.
I would always breed tufted/non tufted pairs in order to avoid dead chicks.post #8949 of 91872/3/16 at 9:07pm
- The Chicken Chapel
- › Surviving Minnesota! 1 minute ago
- › Food Storage Ideas Needed 1 minute ago
- › Did you know..... Chat Thread! W/ Hosts: DwayneNLiz,... 3 minutes ago
- › Araucana thread anyone? 4 minutes ago
- › Peachicks of 2016 photos -- Let's see the babies!!! 6 minutes ago
- › HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks 8 minutes ago
- › Type of Rooster? 13 minutes ago
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 14 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!! 15 minutes ago
- › Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the... 20 minutes ago
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.