if smooth silkies have actual feathers then what is it called on a regular silkie with the down?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChicken Breedstagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
I purchased the Premium Chickenguard controller box only about 4 months ago. The motor can handle 2.2lbs and my aluminum door only weight .8lb, which heavy enough to close the door. I purchased...
Very good breed. I have one Buff Brahma pullet named Annika. Like I said up there she's very sweet and gentle towards people butt gets bullied easily by my older hens but she's still a baby so...
Overall I'd say they're a very good breed. I have two Amber Whites named Jelly-Bean aka The Bean and Merlina. They are both very friendly and do very well with my younger brother and sister, they...
I've never bothered with purchasing Happy Hen Treat Mealworms, because I just purchase the mealworms for wild birds. Same exact thing for nearly half the price. And you probably even get more...
I have been raising buff Orpingtons for years now, and they never cease to entertain me. My favorite hen, Brooklyn is one of the best layer hens I've ever had. She is a awesome mother (has hatched...
Silkie thread! - Page 5736post #57352 of 6216612/20/15 at 12:36pmpost #57353 of 6216612/20/15 at 3:08pmQuote:Do you breed silkies if so I would like to buy some.Originally Posted by MumsyIII
New grow out pic's of a few of my current favorite kids.
Photo bomb by a squashy face baby.
I love the new white grow outs.
Buff is new in my pens. Loving these two little ones. Even with squash face.
One of the Porcelain kids working on their second squash.
This Cuckoo chick is the rarest color in my flock. So pretty. Whether it is female or male, it will go into an all black pen.post #57354 of 6216612/20/15 at 5:30pmIt is confusing sometimes with silkies and sizzles but that roo is the pic is a smooth sizzle, and a pretty one at that! 😉 You can have a smooth or frizzled sizzle and you can have a smooth or frizzled silkie. The frizzled silkie looks very much like a regular (or smooth) silkie except that like other frizzles, the feathers curl. It isn't as obvious with silkies because of the down like feathers but you can tell, especially if you look at the wing feathers.post #57355 of 6216612/20/15 at 5:38pmpost #57356 of 6216612/20/15 at 6:13pmQuote:
Regular feathers are barbed. Those barbs allow regular feathers to hold together and primary wing feathers gain air loft for flight. Silkie feathers are barbless. The barbless flight feathers will not allow the silkie the ability of flight or the ability to shed water.
In my experience the first out cross from silkie to regular feathers give all chicks smooth barbed feathers. Second generation will give a percentage of barbed or barbless feathers. I toe punch all day old chicks in my flock by sire and year. I know at a glance who came from who and when. If a barbed chick appears in my flock, I know where it came from. I call them barnies. They sell as pets to those that want cheap brood hens. They are cute little banties.post #57357 of 6216612/20/15 at 6:19pmpost #57358 of 6216612/20/15 at 6:20pmpost #57359 of 6216612/20/15 at 6:22pm
- Farm Daze
- › how many Eggs you get today 45 seconds ago
- › Toddlers are Quackers 53 seconds ago
- › It's a Strange World, After All - A mythical role play 1 minute ago
- › Lets count to a million 2 minutes ago
- › ^The Two Forests^ A Shapeshifting RP 2 minutes ago
- › Mallard help 2 minutes ago
- › Muscovy Hen brooding timetable 3 minutes ago
- › Ant bite? Spider bite? Probably fowl pox 5 minutes ago
- › The Old Folks Home 5 minutes ago
- › My chickens laying in the nesting boxes 5 minutes ago
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Easter Eggers by PeepersMama
- › Barred Rock by PeepersMama
- › Freedom Ranger by bobhoke
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.