Oh, that just stinks! 60% of all the chickens that I've had have been roos! They were are REALLY MEAN!!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChicken Breedstagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
I bought a one of these this summer. It is fantastic. It will pluck 2 birds in 10-15 seconds. My son in law and I cleaned 20 birds in less than 90 minutes. At the end of 90 minutes they were...
Mini Ecos are a great choice for those who want a quality small incubator but don't want to break the bank. Although you will have to turn the eggs yourself and the temperature readout is not...
A Brinsea Mini was my first incubator and it will be my last too. It is a high quality small incubator for the backyard hobbyist; no, you can't hatch a ton of chicks out of it, but it's ideal for...
Silkie thread! - Page 5829post #58282 of 621872/24/16 at 4:26pmpost #58283 of 621872/24/16 at 4:30pmWelcome to BYC!!! I have had multiple silkies throughout my couple years of chicken raising and I must say compared to other breeds, mine are pretty quiet. Silkies are known for being friendly, so they are good beginning birds and they are quite people and chicken friendly which makes it even easier. Would definitely recommend them, they and Belgian D'uccles are my favorite breeds. Hope I helped! 😄Chickens are the best pet ever! They make you eggs when you are hungry and snuggle with you when you are lonely. A dog snuggles but doesn't make an egg...Chickens are the best pet ever! They make you eggs when you are hungry and snuggle with you when you are lonely. A dog snuggles but doesn't make an egg...post #58284 of 621872/24/16 at 4:31pmpost #58285 of 621872/24/16 at 5:20pmpost #58286 of 621872/24/16 at 5:23pmShe looks partridge to me! 😄Chickens are the best pet ever! They make you eggs when you are hungry and snuggle with you when you are lonely. A dog snuggles but doesn't make an egg...post #58287 of 621872/24/16 at 5:40pmpost #58288 of 621872/24/16 at 6:13pm
I have always hatched out more pullets than roos and I have found that my hens have bigger attitudes than the roos. They are usually the ones getting territorial or running around cawing (mostly when being introduced to new birds) I think silkies are quite and excellent birds for breeding and pets, but they aren't your typical heritage breed.Pre-vet student who just wants a simple and holistic life with her crazy herd of 50+ brood cows, two jennys continuously followed by an old gelding, a pack of rabbit dogs, two collies, a tom cat who may just be a black panther, a fish tank with questionable contents, a flock of cuckoo sizzle chickens and a nigerian dwarf who may just be a dog herself on a plot of land that started a town in 1939.Pre-vet student who just wants a simple and holistic life with her crazy herd of 50+ brood cows, two jennys continuously followed by an old gelding, a pack of rabbit dogs, two collies, a tom cat who may just be a black panther, a fish tank with questionable contents, a flock of cuckoo sizzle chickens and a nigerian dwarf who may just be a dog herself on a plot of land that started a town in 1939.post #58289 of 621872/24/16 at 7:32pm"Know well the condition of your flocks...." Proverbs 27:23"Know well the condition of your flocks...." Proverbs 27:23post #58290 of 621872/24/16 at 8:55pm
I used to think having a broody Silkie was a death sentence. But after 5 years of letting them brood an empty nest for several days/weeks I just make sure they get off the nest a couple times daily to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they scurry back to brood their empty box. After their broody period is over they come out to join the rest of the flock all refreshed and ready to do daily chicken things again. I make sure to immediately remove any eggs out of the nestboxes. But Silkies are tenacious broodies. I had one that tried to hatch a cucumber slice!
- Farm Daze
- › How to best deal with backyard chickens in the cold weather??? 6 minutes ago
- › The Old Folks Home 7 minutes ago
- › chicks and ducks together 10 minutes ago
- › dust bath 12 minutes ago
- › What breed is this? 13 minutes ago
- › Mean chicken at night 14 minutes ago
- › What is this? 14 minutes ago
- › Its been over 24 hours 16 minutes ago
- › Long time reader, first time poster! 18 minutes ago
- › Good afternoon. Finally joined.... questions 20 minutes ago
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page