Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChicken Breedstagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Silkie thread! - Page 5863
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #58622 of 621923/14/16 at 10:43pmpost #58623 of 621923/14/16 at 10:46pmpost #58624 of 621923/15/16 at 7:39ampost #58625 of 621923/15/16 at 7:39ampost #58626 of 621923/15/16 at 7:43ampost #58627 of 621923/15/16 at 7:46am
So I am incubating a batch of shipped eggs. I did that last spring and it worked out really well. Out of 17 eggs I had 14 hatch healthy and grow up. So I kept the nicest and am now hatching another batch of silkies. These eggs were shipped from further and a couple had very jiggly air cells. Those eggs never did develop right and were quitters. I also had one had a wonky air cell on the side- right in the middle but very stable. I was unsure what to do, so after reading on here I opted for leaving it upright in the carton for most of the incubation and tilting it gently. When I went into lockdown, I decided to lay it on its side with the air cell up since it had never moved at all. Well, this morning guess who pipped first? My funky little side air cell chick has his beak out and is hollering up a storm. I'm hoping he will be fine since he's already pipped? Anything special I need to watch for or do for him? . I'm not in a hurry- watchful waiting for now..post #58628 of 621923/15/16 at 7:52ampost #58629 of 621923/15/16 at 7:55amWell if it don't pip any further with 24 hours then I need to get a cheap pair of tweezers from the dollar store and break a few peices around the pip what ever way the beak is take the shell off till u see the back side to the back of the head gently wiggle him out and let him rest and it should break the umbilical cord by him self or it can dry up and come apartpost #58630 of 621923/15/16 at 9:02amIs there anyone here that lives in Western Nebraska? I really want to (eventually) show some silkies. These babies that I have- and the eggs in the 'bator- are all from hatchery quality birds. So I'm sure they aren't show quality. But I have no idea what to look for and what's good and/or bad quality/characteristics. I'm new to silkies. Really, I'm new to anything show quality. We've always had feed store birds and "mutts". While I loved them dearly- I didn't realize that they were "bad quality". Thanks!
- Farm Daze
- › Granny's gone and done it again 2 seconds ago
- › New Chicken owner 38 seconds ago
- › Official BYC Contest - Chicken and Egg Recipes - Win a BYC Cookbook! 47 seconds ago
- › Gander with 2 geese and 2 sets of goslings attacking one set 51 seconds ago
- › Poultry school, Enroll Today! (chickens/ducks/geese,Any poultry!) 1 minute ago
- › The last letter Game 1 minute ago
- › Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE 2 minutes ago
- › NY chicken lover!!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Greetings all! 3 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age