Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChicken Breedstagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
Can't seem to get any tech support. Can't seem to reset it. Alarm was very annoying while trying to figure out why it won't climb to set temps.
I have one specific polish that I have owned for over five years now and she is still my favorite bird. She (and all of the other polish) will perch on my shoulder and will literally act...
My 8 White Leghorn pullets are the friendliest breed I have ever raised. And I have raised quite a few breeds, and some of my breeds include Silkies, EE's, Brahma's, Australorps, etc. But still, my...
I purchased the Premium Chickenguard controller box only about 4 months ago. The motor can handle 2.2lbs and my aluminum door only weight .8lb, which heavy enough to close the door. I purchased...
Very good breed. I have one Buff Brahma pullet named Annika. Like I said up there she's very sweet and gentle towards people butt gets bullied easily by my older hens but she's still a baby so...
Silkie thread! - Page 5927
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #59262 of 621754/5/16 at 8:50ampost #59263 of 621754/5/16 at 9:24ampost #59264 of 621754/5/16 at 9:59am
I have a 8 month old Silkie, along with 2 white leghorns, 3 golden stars, 1 Lt. Brahma and a Blue Wyandotte. They were all raised together and get along so well, but I would like to sneak some fertile eggs under the Silkie when she goes Broody. If the eggs hatch, do you just let her raise the chicks there in the coop? Will the other birds hurt the chicks? I have room in my run to build a temporary coop for awhile but I don't think the Silkie will like being separated from the rest of the flock. How did they do it in the COWBOY DAYS!post #59265 of 621754/5/16 at 11:14ampost #59266 of 621754/5/16 at 11:24amQuote:
I live in WA too and have 6-7 grown silkies and Silkie babies in the brooder. They do just fine. Yes they get wet and their feet can get muddy but once they dry they are good as new again.post #59267 of 621754/5/16 at 1:10pmpost #59268 of 621754/5/16 at 1:47pmpost #59269 of 621754/5/16 at 1:48pmpost #59270 of 621754/5/16 at 2:43pmQuote:Once she goes broody she will isolate her self from the flock. It is best to have a brooder box for momma and chicks. I keep mine in rabbit hutches , with momma until they are 4-6 weeks old. Just this week one of my Sussex birds almost ripped a 3 day old chicks beak off through the wire.Originally Posted by Little Fuzzy
I have a 8 month old Silkie, along with 2 white leghorns, 3 golden stars, 1 Lt. Brahma and a Blue Wyandotte. They were all raised together and get along so well, but I would like to sneak some fertile eggs under the Silkie when she goes Broody. If the eggs hatch, do you just let her raise the chicks there in the coop? Will the other birds hurt the chicks? I have room in my run to build a temporary coop for awhile but I don't think the Silkie will like being separated from the rest of the flock. How did they do it in the COWBOY DAYS!
Yesterday I lost one of the chicks to a goshawk. Rotten thing pulled the baby through the wire. . So do what you can to protect them because you'll soon realise that they very vulnerable and momma can't protect them from all the dangers.
- Farm Daze
- › Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2 1 minute ago
- › Count as high as possible before BantamFan4Life posts! 1 minute ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 1 minute ago
- › HELP ME QUICK!!!! 1 minute ago
- › Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!! 1 minute ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 2 minutes ago
- › CHICKEN / FOWL NAMES! To Name or Not to Name? Do You Name Yours? ... 2 minutes ago
- › The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rehoming Sacramento roosters 6 minutes ago
- › This a random rambling thread do what ever you want 6 minutes ago
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.