Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChicken Breedstagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
Silkie thread! - Page 6015
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #60142 of 621965/16/16 at 6:44pmQuote:Quote:
Here mine are about two months old and they are pretty much all feathered outpost #60143 of 621965/16/16 at 7:07pmpost #60144 of 621965/16/16 at 7:18pmpost #60145 of 621965/16/16 at 8:18pmpost #60146 of 621965/16/16 at 10:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by Nanas Silkies
Thank you all for messaging, well i think He/She was just trying to size up to them He/She has not done it for 4 days now, and i will soon be moving them into the bigger horse watering tub that the tractor supply gave us so they will have pently of room and i now i'm not for sure if i am right about the GENDER AND NON-BEARDED AND BEARDED today i woke up and went out there to feed them and my white non-bearded now looks like it is a female as its poof is going around the face and going down the beak and it looks like it is getting a bearded. XD I am puzzled now on this batch. All my other batches was easy to tell now i cant tell i will just have to see. and i will be getting 40 silkie chicks this month or next month from cackle hatchery 10 blue 10 buff 10 splash and 10 white so i will have a total of 44 silkies hopeing the 40 are bearded i kinda dont like non-bearded.
@Fancychooklady likes the non-bearded because the birds' faces stay cleaner and she believes their vision is less obstructed without muff/beard below the eyes. Either bearded or non-bearded will be sweet birds. Not every bearded pullet will suit your expectations either. Out of a batch of a dozen juvenile pullets we saw in a pen being sold by a private breeder only two were what I would call beautiful with the fluffiest roundest crest/beard/muffs - the other 10 were bearded but were poor specimens IMO - a non-bearded would've looked better! Still, I do hope you enjoy the ones you get!post #60147 of 621965/17/16 at 6:08amQuote:I used to have to trim my Cochin's too. I've never had to trim my Silkies, but I know breeders that do. Trim about an inch below the vent on the roo and an inch above on the hens (though I'm sure you already know that ).
Edited by howfunkyisurchicken - 5/17/16 at 6:08amNikki
*C'mon, get flappy!*Nikki
*C'mon, get flappy!*post #60148 of 621965/17/16 at 11:21ampost #60149 of 621965/17/16 at 1:11pmpost #60150 of 621965/17/16 at 2:13pm
- Farm Daze
- › BYC Café 2 minutes ago
- › how many Eggs you get today 3 minutes ago
- › The NFC B-Day Chat Thread 4 minutes ago
- › need help id-ing this chicken 10 minutes ago
- › Rooster or a Hen??? 11 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!! 14 minutes ago
- › Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens 17 minutes ago
- › Heating Our Coops 28 minutes ago
- › Thai gamefowl??? 37 minutes ago
- › Help! My chicken has a prolapsed vent and I can't get it back in?! 39 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age