Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChicken Breedstagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What breed is this colorful chick? Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- What kind of chickens are these? Last post on 8/7/16 at 8:37am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help identifying chick Last post on 7/16/16 at 1:51pm in Raising Baby Chicks
- Orphaned adopted babies, help with breed? Last post on 5/21/16 at 6:04am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 5/30/16 at 7:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
Very good breed. I have one Buff Brahma pullet named Annika. Like I said up there she's very sweet and gentle towards people butt gets bullied easily by my older hens but she's still a baby so...
Overall I'd say they're a very good breed. I have two Amber Whites named Jelly-Bean aka The Bean and Merlina. They are both very friendly and do very well with my younger brother and sister, they...
I've never bothered with purchasing Happy Hen Treat Mealworms, because I just purchase the mealworms for wild birds. Same exact thing for nearly half the price. And you probably even get more...
I have been raising buff Orpingtons for years now, and they never cease to entertain me. My favorite hen, Brooklyn is one of the best layer hens I've ever had. She is a awesome mother (has hatched...
These are my absolute favorite chicken. Each one of them has their own personality, as well as their own unique patterns and colors of "flowers". They will run to you when they see you and come...
Silkie thread! - Page 6019post #60182 of 621615/19/16 at 2:29ampost #60183 of 621615/19/16 at 9:11ampost #60184 of 621615/19/16 at 9:31am
I've got a question about the fibromelonosis gene.
I'm wanting to express more of the blue ear lobes, and that only seems to come from silkies that carry that gene, mainly in white, black, blue and partridge.
If I'm wanting to bring out more of that gene... crossing these colors 'should' work??? It's been so long since I've dealt with genetics, I'm terribly rusty. Anyone on this thread yet that knows about the fibromelonosis genes?
Suepost #60185 of 621615/19/16 at 9:40ampost #60186 of 621615/19/16 at 10:08ampost #60187 of 621615/19/16 at 10:18am
Just wondering about the color of my Silkie chicks. I have a Splash hen and HAD a while smooth rooster for a brief time while looking for a home for him. He was not crowing and I had nor seen him mount any of the girls in with him. The splash went broody so I let her sit on some eggs assuming there were no fertile males and, therefore, no fertile eggs. By the time she started to sit, the boy had been rehomed. Well...low and behold, when I went out to swap out her eggs with some day-old chicks of another breed after about 3 weeks, I found one egg pipped and another 3 cheeping. 3 other eggs were clearly developing and I ended up moving them to an incubator. They all hatched....with several days in between so someone must have been adding new egg after incubation started. All of the chicks are black or dark blue...some with vaulted skulls, some not....but all are clearly pure Silkie. I was really surprised at the colors since the rooster was white and the hen splash. How could they be that color? Can they carry splits for other colors? I am also wonder abut the likely sex ratio. In my experience, the ones that are darker have always ended up being boys. Does that hold true with blacks or blues?
Black Copper Marans, Blue Wyandottes, Blue Wheaton Ameraucana, Buff x Wheaten Ameraucana color cross, Bresse, Swedish Flower Hens and lots of chicks! Also one Golden Retriever and one Pit Mix.
Black Copper Marans, Blue Wyandottes, Blue Wheaton Ameraucana, Buff x Wheaten Ameraucana color cross, Bresse, Swedish Flower Hens and lots of chicks! Also one Golden Retriever and one Pit Mix.post #60188 of 621615/19/16 at 10:53am
White is pretty much unpredictable, from what I've read.
This "boy?" came from my white female silkie, covered by a blue frizzle bantam cochin. I have 2 white silkies, not sure which mothered this one, but neither of them have beards, and this guy is bearded right? I knew my silkies were not the best quality, but at least all the chicks are adorable! lol
Ended up with 3 blue and 3 black.Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!post #60189 of 621615/19/16 at 11:03ampost #60190 of 621615/19/16 at 11:41am
I'm new to Silkies, I have 2 white silkies that are 4 weeks old. They are being raised with 3 Barred Rocks and seem to all be doing great together. I'm hoping to introduce them to my 4 Buff Orpingtons and 6 Black Australorps this summer. So far they are so cute and I love the fluff!My family + 3 Buff Orpingtons + 3 Black Australorps + 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks + 2 Silkies living in New HampshireMy family + 3 Buff Orpingtons + 3 Black Australorps + 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks + 2 Silkies living in New Hampshire
- Farm Daze
- › Americano Blue's musher/mushing chat thread 23 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 1 minute ago
- › Hens or Roos? 1 minute ago
- › Help please with first hatch 1 minute ago
- › What is this chicken thinking? 1 minute ago
- › Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds 2 minutes ago
- › Help! Infection is spreading quickly 2 minutes ago
- › Did you know..... Chat Thread! W/ Hosts: DwayneNLiz,... 2 minutes ago
- › Silkie thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Let's share our chicken decor! 3 minutes ago
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Easter Eggers by PeepersMama
- › Barred Rock by PeepersMama
- › Freedom Ranger by bobhoke
- › Ideal Poultry salmon faverolles by mangobees
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.