BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › Putting on a wing band
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Putting on a wing band

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Once upon a time, I had a link to a video that showed a wing band being put on a bird.  I tried to get it to show my sister for her birds, but the video won't run now.  Does anyone have a link to another video, or a good picture of how it is done?  She's very nervous doing it just off a description.

post #2 of 9

hu What is a wing band, and what is it's real purpose?

~ MARIE~, ZOey's nana in COOLville, Ohio
1 rooster(OEGame/Andalusian mix), 1 B.A./OEG hen,1 Black Jersey Giant hen, 1 Black Astralorp hen; 1 - ~White Plymouth Rock "Klucky". 1~Delaware hen.
Reply
~ MARIE~, ZOey's nana in COOLville, Ohio
1 rooster(OEGame/Andalusian mix), 1 B.A./OEG hen,1 Black Jersey Giant hen, 1 Black Astralorp hen; 1 - ~White Plymouth Rock "Klucky". 1~Delaware hen.
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

It's a permanent tag for the birds that you can put on when they are about a day old, you push it through the web of the wing (if you do it right there isn't blood) and then clamp it shut.  I still like leg tags on adult birds as they are easier to spot, but the wing tag doesn't fall off or have to be changed.

post #4 of 9

We do wing bands at about 6 months on birds we are keeping or selling as breeder/show quality stock. Ours are custom imprinted with Premier Silkies into them as well as numbered.
This helps us not only keep track of the stock, but to verify at shows it is indeed our bird. Ours are riveted into the skin on the wing and indeed on the bird for the life.
Pet quality birds I sell have no wing bands on them. We also use ABA bands & some of our older stock have alum leg bands.
I view it as no more than an ear piercing or the annoying yearly testing I have to do on the breeder stock.
Connie

post #5 of 9

here's a video  on proper placement and applicatorless bands.

this video shows how to use the applicator that comes with the Jiffy bands (which are super easy and what i choose).

when i banded mine 2 months ago, it was the first time for me and i hadn't seen the videos. it was so much easier than i thought, but these videos would have set my mind at ease a bit. my birds didn't seem to mind at all other than a quick evaluation once the bands were on.


Edited by bibliophile birds - 2/17/10 at 3:59pm
Leah  My Blog    Birds' Blog   National Parks make the best neighbors.

Chickens: Buff Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, EEs, GL Wyandottes, Gray Silkies, Partridge Silkies, Wheaten Marans, Brahma/Orpington crosses, and Silkie/EE crosses
Geese: Tufted Roman
Reply
Leah  My Blog    Birds' Blog   National Parks make the best neighbors.

Chickens: Buff Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, EEs, GL Wyandottes, Gray Silkies, Partridge Silkies, Wheaten Marans, Brahma/Orpington crosses, and Silkie/EE crosses
Geese: Tufted Roman
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSilkies 

We do wing bands at about 6 months on birds we are keeping or selling as breeder/show quality stock. Ours are custom imprinted with Premier Silkies into them as well as numbered.
This helps us not only keep track of the stock, but to verify at shows it is indeed our bird. Ours are riveted into the skin on the wing and indeed on the bird for the life.
Pet quality birds I sell have no wing bands on them. We also use ABA bands & some of our older stock have alum leg bands.
I view it as no more than an ear piercing or the annoying yearly testing I have to do on the breeder stock.
Connie


I just got wing bands today, the jiffy 893 bands. The birds I was trying to put them on are around 6 months of age. And I am having a hard time getting the bands to work. Do you have any tips for putting them on adult birds. Thanks.

Breeding & Exhibiting Quality Bearded Silkies
Sundown Silkies Website
Sundown Silkies Facebook Page
NPIP Certified & Proud Member of the American Silkie Bantam Club & the American Bantam Association

PM or email if your interested in birds/eggs.

Reply

Breeding & Exhibiting Quality Bearded Silkies
Sundown Silkies Website
Sundown Silkies Facebook Page
NPIP Certified & Proud Member of the American Silkie Bantam Club & the American Bantam Association

PM or email if your interested in birds/eggs.

Reply
post #7 of 9

Where did you get your wing bands? I have watched lots of videos and I want to do the jiffys as well but none of our stores carry them.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloykera View Post
 

Where did you get your wing bands? I have watched lots of videos and I want to do the jiffys as well but none of our stores carry them.

You won't be able buy them locally, they will have to be ordered. I got mine from National Band

 

http://www.nationalband.com/nbtpoult.htm

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesmom View Post
 

You won't be able buy them locally, they will have to be ordered. I got mine from National Band

 

http://www.nationalband.com/nbtpoult.htm


Same here, some other poultry sites sell them comparatively priced. But they normally do up to like 400 then its extra for print. After the birds grow to 1/2 sized or so actually use medium sized livestock tags. Its much easier trying to read numbers on the bird. My jiffy tags are like 1/8 x 1/2 in. and my eyes are going. I use hog tags that are pre-numbered that were being tossed by hog barns because their tags were being revamped.

  These also are noticeable w/o picking up the bird. So if your like me, tag breeders and not table eggers, you can tell at a glance if someone is out of place.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Managing Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Managing Your Flock › Putting on a wing band