BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › baby ducks - how soon can they be put outside with other ducks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

baby ducks - how soon can they be put outside with other ducks

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I have 13 baby ducks 1 week old.  I want them to learn to go in the coop with the big ducks at night due to lots of predators outside.  How soon can they join our big ducks?  If I put them out too soon I'm afraid they might not go in the coop at night, and they,re too hard for me to catch even with a net.  Yet I want tem to learn from the big ducks too so I'm debating how soon to let them out of the house.  Maybe I should let 2 out at a time to test...not yet of course at 1 week old.  Any advice for me?

I love chickens!  We currently have about 30 silkies (some are naked neck silkies), 10 barred rocks, 3 rumpless araucana, 7 rumpless naked necks, 3 lavender cuckoo orpingtons, 5 seramas, 10 black cochin bantams, and 10 d'uccles. 
Reply
I love chickens!  We currently have about 30 silkies (some are naked neck silkies), 10 barred rocks, 3 rumpless araucana, 7 rumpless naked necks, 3 lavender cuckoo orpingtons, 5 seramas, 10 black cochin bantams, and 10 d'uccles. 
Reply
post #2 of 8

My advice:  keep them away from each other!  The big ducks will probably kill the poor babies!  If you really must mix them, do it when they're all grown up!

Rainbow-colored chickens! http://www.poultryland.net/
Reply
Rainbow-colored chickens! http://www.poultryland.net/
Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBirds 

I have 13 baby ducks 1 week old.  I want them to learn to go in the coop with the big ducks at night due to lots of predators outside.  How soon can they join our big ducks?  If I put them out too soon I'm afraid they might not go in the coop at night, and they,re too hard for me to catch even with a net.  Yet I want tem to learn from the big ducks too so I'm debating how soon to let them out of the house.  Maybe I should let 2 out at a time to test...not yet of course at 1 week old.  Any advice for me?


Wait till they are fully feathered. Then introduce them all at once to the coop, they should stay inside it for a few days though. They will eventually learn to go in and out with everyone else.

Garrett
Proud 5th generation Conch and husband of Shadowhills Farms.
3 Conch Republic Gypsies, 1 Black Copper Maran,, 3 Pekin Ducks (1 adult, 2 ducklings), 2 Silkies, 1 Spalsh Maran Roo and a whole slew of chicks
Reply
Garrett
Proud 5th generation Conch and husband of Shadowhills Farms.
3 Conch Republic Gypsies, 1 Black Copper Maran,, 3 Pekin Ducks (1 adult, 2 ducklings), 2 Silkies, 1 Spalsh Maran Roo and a whole slew of chicks
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks so much for your help!

I love chickens!  We currently have about 30 silkies (some are naked neck silkies), 10 barred rocks, 3 rumpless araucana, 7 rumpless naked necks, 3 lavender cuckoo orpingtons, 5 seramas, 10 black cochin bantams, and 10 d'uccles. 
Reply
I love chickens!  We currently have about 30 silkies (some are naked neck silkies), 10 barred rocks, 3 rumpless araucana, 7 rumpless naked necks, 3 lavender cuckoo orpingtons, 5 seramas, 10 black cochin bantams, and 10 d'uccles. 
Reply
post #5 of 8

This is what I do to integrate my ducks.   I bring the babies, at around 4 to 5 weeks old, weather permitting, outside into a playpen or a puppy pen inside the adult ducks pen.  This way the adults get to see the babies, the babies get to see the adults but no one can get hurt.  I do this over time for them to get to know one another.  Then I bring the babies into the adult pen and I sit and watch.  I don't intervene unless it looks as though someone is going to get hurt. 

There will be some pushing, shoving, things like that but I've had very good luck with integrating them this way.  By 8 weeks old, the ducklings are completely integrated with the adults with no problems.

Laurie

Bantam Wyandottes
Muscovy Ducks
Sebastopol Geese
Guineas
Reply
Bantam Wyandottes
Muscovy Ducks
Sebastopol Geese
Guineas
Reply
post #6 of 8

I am glad I found this thread! I have 13 eggs in the incubator right now, and 6 ducks in the backyard. They free range the yard during the day and get locked into their coop at night. It is not a big coop though, and I am really wondering what I am gonna do when the babies are old enough to be kept outside, but not old enough to go in with the big ducks, especially with the cramped quarters. I have been thinking of building on an addition. Think i might have to do that soon, eh? We are not planning on keeping all the babies, so I won't need a huge coop, but a little bigger would be better.

I have to come up with a brooder soon as well. I have a small house, so this should be interesting!

Wife to a wonderful man, momma to 5 curious kids, one Dalmatian, 9 ball pythons, and 4 ducks!
Ducks are 1 buff duck, 3 Khaki Campbells, and 12 eggs in the incubator!!

Reply

Wife to a wonderful man, momma to 5 curious kids, one Dalmatian, 9 ball pythons, and 4 ducks!
Ducks are 1 buff duck, 3 Khaki Campbells, and 12 eggs in the incubator!!

Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyJaneDesigns 

I am glad I found this thread! I have 13 eggs in the incubator right now, and 6 ducks in the backyard. They free range the yard during the day and get locked into their coop at night. It is not a big coop though, and I am really wondering what I am gonna do when the babies are old enough to be kept outside, but not old enough to go in with the big ducks, especially with the cramped quarters. I have been thinking of building on an addition. Think i might have to do that soon, eh? We are not planning on keeping all the babies, so I won't need a huge coop, but a little bigger would be better.

I have to come up with a brooder soon as well. I have a small house, so this should be interesting!


welcome-byc

Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
Living in the Beautiful Mountains of Western N.C.. with 16 chickens= EE's, Game, Cochin bantams,Light Brahma,  Black Australorps . 13Muscovy ducks, 1 Embden Gander,2 Toulouse geese 1 American Buff, 3 mini Dachshunds, 1 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeTruly 

This is what I do to integrate my ducks.   I bring the babies, at around 4 to 5 weeks old, weather permitting, outside into a playpen or a puppy pen inside the adult ducks pen.  This way the adults get to see the babies, the babies get to see the adults but no one can get hurt.  I do this over time for them to get to know one another.  Then I bring the babies into the adult pen and I sit and watch.  I don't intervene unless it looks as though someone is going to get hurt. 

There will be some pushing, shoving, things like that but I've had very good luck with integrating them this way.  By 8 weeks old, the ducklings are completely integrated with the adults with no problems.

Laurie


Yep...thats kinda what I've done with good results.. In the duck world its all about dominance...and when little ones suddenly appear they get tested by the drakes and other hens sometimes.  Drakes love attention...so they get angry with anyone that steals the spotlight...like ducklings. Especially orphan ducklings. If they didn't  hatch under a hen...they are seen as invaders, outsiders.

I almost lost my little female to a drake that swooped on her so fast and grabbed her in his mouth then ran with her that I couldn't catch up...only reason shes here today is because with all the running the drake dropped her.

I keep my indoor pen under a window so the big ducks can sit outside and watch live DTV...(duck television)  The little ones are not as stressed, the big ones get used to the new ducks and over a few weeks they get used to each other. There will still be some pecking and pushing...but its not too serious after they've spent some time staring at each other thru the window.
Never underestimate a duck....
the big ducks ate a hole in the screen so they can stick their head in when the window is open.....roll    I taped around the edges of the hole so they wouldn't make it any bigger.
They ate the tape.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › baby ducks - how soon can they be put outside with other ducks