I was out watching them again this evening - it's become somewhat addictive and calming after a day of work. And I'm afraid that against my intention and better judgement, all the NN cockerels have names now. (And yes, I like The Matrix - got started on it by Tank, though that wasn't the original association with that name... but hey, the Cream Legbars are named after Paula Deen and The Two Fat Ladies...)
Though I'm sure it will continue to be in flux, here are what I perceive to be the current pecking order rankings and other notes on the NN cockerels (I'm watching them carefully.) Things are in a lot of flux and less defined past #1 and #2, and of course, things will evolve daily. If I was forced to choose today, I would have a hard time doing so (except Cypher, who will be heading to freezer camp, I think).
1. Mr. Smith/Bane (black, rose combed - Nn phenotype) - He seems to scare the bejeezus out of everyone, though I didn't realize that included Tank and Dozer until today (mostly really intense staring contests which he always wins). He doesn't otherwise seem as social with the flock as the other big boys (though I have more observing to do). He kinda scares the bejeezus out of me - he's never threatened me, but he's just impressive and intimidating. He's huge. (He was named first, fits his personality.) Top or not, I'm not sure I want to keep him (rose comb, Nn with muff, and not as social/part of flock). But his size is a good point for him, and his behavior may evolve. He's in a growth spurt.
2. Dozer (slate-legged red with black tail - Nn phenotype) - He seems to make a good pair with Tank, and they are comfortable scratching/pecking right up against each other. (Hence the name). I like the info Kev shared about sexing his chicks at hatch, so that's a point in his favor. He's also in a growth spurt, so size as well.
3. Tank (white-legged red with black tail, fastest growing in first 8 weeks by far - NN phenotype) - Good boy, super early growth but seems to be falling in the pecking order - a few below him have started to challenge him. His growth has slowed down. He bears watching.
4. Apoc (yellow-downed Wheaten one - Nn phenotype) - He's interesting/pretty
5. Mouse (second smallest cockerel, Buff - NN phenotype) - Friendly since he was a baby, handsome boy
6. Neo (black-downed one with red accents - NN phenotype) - Super friendly, I find his coloring stunning
7. Cypher (yellow-legged red with black tail, smallest cockerel - Nn phenotype) - A bit antisocial.
Originally Posted by draye
No Bowtie! This one will give you the most naked necked babies. All if his should be some kind of naked necked regardless of the hens he's bred to.
That's a good point - it's something I'm looking at as I decide. But I have two (Dozer and Apoc) that are Nn but impressive, and Bane is impressively big even if he is scary. I'll continue to watch, and hope the decision gets easier...
- Ant Farm
edit: I think Neo is so low in the order because he's more focused on cuddling with me. He sat in my lap for half an hour, and lingered near me much of the time.
Edited by Fire Ant Farm - 11/13/15 at 5:41pm