Originally Posted by Kassaundra
Shrink wrapping is the membrane drying out becoming to hard for the chick to break through and tightening to the point of suffocating them. I have had it happen w/ broodies, though not nearly as often, usually in dry summer heat and a chick that is taking to long to hatch.
Common "knowledge" is it happens w/ low humidity and violating lock down. I can only speak to my experience (while those conditions certainly can exacerbate it) in my case it happens w/o regard to humidity and w/o opening the incubator. I wish I knew why it happens to all my hatches. I know it isn't my "line" b/c others hatching my chickens eggs don't have the problem, and when I have hatched other then my eggs it still happens.
In the egg there is the chick, then a thin clear membrane that has the blood vessels, then a thicker membrane, then the shell. At the top there is an air cell. When a chick is ready to hatch they break through the inner and outer membrane into the air space this in internal pip. They breathe the air in the cell and rest, you can hear them cheeping. If an egg is closed (no hole) and you hear peeping it has internally pipped. Then the chick breaks a hole in the actual shell, this is external pipping. It should then peck a line roughly at the level of the air sac in a circle, this is zipping, once it has enough shell zipped it can push it's way out.
Originally Posted by Kassaundra
Originally Posted by Phill98
Thanks for explaining everything. Now I understand it all.
Oh and when you said others don't have lroblem hatching your eggs and you have problem hatching other's eggs, maybe your incubator has something to do with it.
Yes, I'm pretty sure it is the incubator too. It is a good quality, good reviews, Brinsea 20. Tested the temps and humidity everything tests out good. The temps are rock solid they don't fluctuate one bit, humidity is a constant battle w/ it. I set my hatch days on days I will be home so I can "birth" the chicks. That is the best I can do for now. I have eggs in now that are nearly half done.
I have a Brinsea (the one with the automatic humidity pump) and it did well. Two ideas:
(1) Have you calibrated the humidity? I know/have read that some of the units have arrived with the humidity reading off (and sometimes the temp reading off). I actually suspect mine might be light that, because my air cells got so big so fast - I had to really up the humidity after day 14 to top growth of the air cells, and I ramped up really high for hatch. I had four that didn't hatch, one of which internally pipped but didn't make it out. A fifth got shrink wrapped - I helped, but the chick could not use its legs, and I decided to euthanize. Got 7 healthy chicks. Meanwhile, I ordered a NIST calibrated thermometer/hygrometer form Thermoworks, and I'm going to recalibrate it before I try hatching again.
(2) If everything is working well up to hatch, perhaps you could hatch in a separate incubator. Better for the longevity of the Brinsea, probably more room (I found the Brinsea to be a bit cramped for hatching), and you might have a better shot at controlling humidity.
Lots of good ideas over on the Incubating with Friends thread (including a lot of folks talking about technical aspects of incubators and solving these sorts of problems, and LOTS of info on calibration)... Incubating with Friends thread
- Ant Farm