BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › Naked Neck/Turken Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Naked Neck/Turken Thread - Page 1901

post #19001 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ant Farm View Post
 


I wish I had room for more boys. I love my boys. Tank was such a gentleman this morning - I want his sons...  :love

 

Oh, I know that trap! I just went out to the bachelor pen where Harley jumped right into my arms to be held and Monty jumped up on the roost next to me begging to be pet. Minutes later, Heisenberg was settling in on my left knee while Bosch snuggled against my chest on my right knee. Chewey wouldn't leave me alone this morning until I'd picked him up and cradled him in my arms, and Peta literally laid on my foot and stared up at me until I pet him. And I haven't even started on the chicks.....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickengr View Post
 

:he

 

he is soooooooooooooooooooooo handsome!

 

 

And that is, in large part, why I still have him. He's gorgeous, and while not one of my affectionate roosters, he truly is amazing to the hens. His devotion has impressed me to no end, and he's actually trained several of my cockerels on how to treat a lady. How can I butcher a rooster like that? 

 

And........chicken math strikes again! 

post #19002 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertChic View Post

Oh, I know that trap! I just went out to the bachelor pen where Harley jumped right into my arms to be held and Monty jumped up on the roost next to me begging to be pet. Minutes later, Heisenberg was settling in on my left knee while Bosch snuggled against my chest on my right knee. Chewey wouldn't leave me alone this morning until I'd picked him up and cradled him in my arms, and Peta literally laid on my foot and stared up at me until I pet him. And I haven't even started on the chicks.....




And that is, in large part, why I still have him. He's gorgeous, and while not one of my affectionate roosters, he truly is amazing to the hens. His devotion has impressed me to no end, and he's actually trained several of my cockerels on how to treat a lady. How can I butcher a rooster like that? 

And........chicken math strikes again! 

If you do you will regret it as he teaches the youmger males.
May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
May your birds always make you smile. 
Reply
post #19003 of 20924

Our little barred NN cockerel actually came on an errand with us in the car today.....

 

Every time we're at the brooder, he jumps to the highest vantage point he can and demands attention. I think he got jealous of our little red guy.:lol:

Sulmtalers (Wheaten & Silver Wheaten) - Naked Necks - Ayam Cemani -  Cream Legbars - Heritage Narragansett Turkeys 

 

Bane Micro Farm - Come check us out!

Reply

Sulmtalers (Wheaten & Silver Wheaten) - Naked Necks - Ayam Cemani -  Cream Legbars - Heritage Narragansett Turkeys 

 

Bane Micro Farm - Come check us out!

Reply
post #19004 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertChic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ant Farm View Post
 


I wish I had room for more boys. I love my boys. Tank was such a gentleman this morning - I want his sons...  :love

 

Oh, I know that trap! I just went out to the bachelor pen where Harley jumped right into my arms to be held and Monty jumped up on the roost next to me begging to be pet. Minutes later, Heisenberg was settling in on my left knee while Bosch snuggled against my chest on my right knee. Chewey wouldn't leave me alone this morning until I'd picked him up and cradled him in my arms, and Peta literally laid on my foot and stared up at me until I pet him. And I haven't even started on the chicks.....

 

 

 

Haha, it's a trap!   Reading the above brought a smile.   I'm glad y'all got to find out roosters actually be perfectly nice birds but the down side of making it hard to select keepers is rather unfortunate.

post #19005 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
 

 

 

Haha, it's a trap!   Reading the above brought a smile.   I'm glad y'all got to find out roosters actually be perfectly nice birds but the down side of making it hard to select keepers is rather unfortunate.

 

It really is. I keep trying to keep those little cockerels at a distance so I don't get attached, but they're always the friendliest of the chicks and totally win me over. And when they grow up to be beautiful roosters that are friendly and respectful to their girls, and if they have a pretty crow....UGH! 

:he

post #19006 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertChic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ant Farm View Post
 


I wish I had room for more boys. I love my boys. Tank was such a gentleman this morning - I want his sons...  :love

 

Oh, I know that trap! I just went out to the bachelor pen where Harley jumped right into my arms to be held and Monty jumped up on the roost next to me begging to be pet. Minutes later, Heisenberg was settling in on my left knee while Bosch snuggled against my chest on my right knee. Chewey wouldn't leave me alone this morning until I'd picked him up and cradled him in my arms, and Peta literally laid on my foot and stared up at me until I pet him. And I haven't even started on the chicks.....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickengr View Post
 

:he

 

he is soooooooooooooooooooooo handsome!

 

 

And that is, in large part, why I still have him. He's gorgeous, and while not one of my affectionate roosters, he truly is amazing to the hens. His devotion has impressed me to no end, and he's actually trained several of my cockerels on how to treat a lady. How can I butcher a rooster like that? 

 

And........chicken math strikes again! 


I try not to fall in the cuddle trap, since I've noticed (like you pointed out), that sometimes it's the ones who are lowest in the pecking order (and therefore often lowest on the list of potential keepers) who are so cuddly. So I'm a bit stand-offish with my boys. BUT... a rooster who is healthy and kind and smart and protective of his hens and will allow himself to be held to be examined, well that's gold.

 

(I wish I was closer to you... and had more space - I'd totally take Pepper off your hands. :love)

 

- Ant Farm

post #19007 of 20924
I've been thinking if thinning my birds way down. I've gotten transferred to another store and am gone from dark until dark.

I've thought about selling down to 18 hens and three roosters and keep the youngest babies. My problem is I can't decide which 18 hens I like the best and want to keep. So I haven't tried advertising them for sell yet.

I don't think I'll sell any individual hens until after the rooster go, if I decide to do this.

Anyway I just wanted to tell someone about it, so thanks for listening.
post #19008 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by draye View Post

I've been thinking if thinning my birds way down. I've gotten transferred to another store and am gone from dark until dark.

I've thought about selling down to 18 hens and three roosters and keep the youngest babies. My problem is I can't decide which 18 hens I like the best and want to keep. So I haven't tried advertising them for sell yet.

I don't think I'll sell any individual hens until after the rooster go, if I decide to do this.

Anyway I just wanted to tell someone about it, so thanks for listening.


Gosh - I know that'll be tough to do, but yeah, gone from dark to dark makes it hard to care for a lot of them.

 

- Ant farm 

post #19009 of 20924

It's so nice to see my molty girls grow back their feathers - they all look like they've just been back form the beauty salon! No pics right now - but Sweetie looks great (though still growing in). And Switch, who lost almost all of her feathers pre-molt because of the fox that almost ate her, looks like she's wearing a silky shiny mink coat. :lol:

 

- Ant Farm 

post #19010 of 20924
Quote:
Originally Posted by draye View Post

I've been thinking if thinning my birds way down. I've gotten transferred to another store and am gone from dark until dark.

I've thought about selling down to 18 hens and three roosters and keep the youngest babies. My problem is I can't decide which 18 hens I like the best and want to keep. So I haven't tried advertising them for sell yet.

I don't think I'll sell any individual hens until after the rooster go, if I decide to do this.

Anyway I just wanted to tell someone about it, so thanks for listening.

 

Oh man, that is hard  but doing that will make it a lot more manageable afterwards.  Good luck.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › Naked Neck/Turken Thread