BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › Breeds, Genetics, & Showing › Campine Chicken thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Campine Chicken thread? - Page 9

post #81 of 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illia 

Does anyone around here BREED Campines? Or know anyone who does? I would really love to find some quality Campines of proper color, but I've yet to find any breeders and hatcheries aren't worth the scores of chicks to sort through and cull just to find a halfway decent bird.


There is a guy in Marysville Wa that I got my Golden Campine from.  You can look at her in this thread (post#45).  Her name is Porkus.  I think her coloring is correct and she looks to be of a good breed.  The breeders name is Tim Walsh and you can probably find him on Craigs list under chickens for sale.... Hope this helps.

I sure love my Campine she is such a goofy, yappy girl!  I wish I could have more chickens I would sure get a whole mess of Campines!

edited to add some stuff smile


Edited by FlockMama - 10/25/10 at 1:23pm
1 awesome H, 2 RIR's, 1 EE, 1 Golden Campine, 2  BR's, 1 Mini Dachshund, and fish... R.I.P. Big Momma
Reply
1 awesome H, 2 RIR's, 1 EE, 1 Golden Campine, 2  BR's, 1 Mini Dachshund, and fish... R.I.P. Big Momma
Reply
post #82 of 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlockMama 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illia 

Does anyone around here BREED Campines? Or know anyone who does? I would really love to find some quality Campines of proper color, but I've yet to find any breeders and hatcheries aren't worth the scores of chicks to sort through and cull just to find a halfway decent bird.


There is a guy in Marysville Wa that I got my Golden Campine from.  You can look at her in this thread (post#45).  Her name is Porkus.  I think her coloring is correct and she looks to be of a good breed.  The breeders name is Tim Walsh and you can probably find him on Craigs list under chickens for sale.... Hope this helps.

I sure love my Campine she is such a goofy, yappy girl!  I wish I could have more chickens I would sure get a whole mess of Campines!

edited to add some stuff smile


She's quite pretty, but she's improperly colored. (She has lacing, not transverse pencilling) I'm looking for the true to type patterning, like this:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Camp/KuritsaSilCampP.JPEG

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Braek/BrakelGoldenH.JPEG

Note the chest is entirely "barred" not laced.

Araucanas, Polish, Shamos, Olive Eggers, and a handful of Finn Sheep, Wensleydale Sheep, Gotland Sheep, Kinder Goats, a Yak, and various rare breed Turkeys, Ducks, and Pigs.

Reply

Araucanas, Polish, Shamos, Olive Eggers, and a handful of Finn Sheep, Wensleydale Sheep, Gotland Sheep, Kinder Goats, a Yak, and various rare breed Turkeys, Ducks, and Pigs.

Reply
post #83 of 634

I've read through this entire thread.  Lots are asking where they can find a quality breeder, but no answers that I can find.  Someone mentioned Duane Urch, but I can't find a link to him.  FlockMama doesn't have any info on his/her page. Where are the breeders?

Large Fowl WBS Ameraucanas & LF Black Orpingtons

North Central Director, Ameraucana Breeders Club

Member, United Orpington Club

Reply

Large Fowl WBS Ameraucanas & LF Black Orpingtons

North Central Director, Ameraucana Breeders Club

Member, United Orpington Club

Reply
post #84 of 634

I posted about my Golden Campine, Scout, back a few weeks ago (post #75).  She is almost 21 weeks old now, and she is squatting with a vengeance.  Up until Wednesday, I couldn't even catch her, much less handle her.  She was flighty and nervous and not the least bit interested in being handled.  She squatted on Wednesday when I leaned over to pet her (I always try, but she always scooted away before) and let me scritch her.  Today she came over and wanted to be picked up and seemed happy to be handled.  What's up?  Is it the impending egg laying?  She is squatting every time I approach her.  Will she stay like this -- liking to be picked up and cuddled?  It is like a different chicken.  I wanted to ask her, "who are you , and what did you do with Scout?"

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60454_12-1-scout.jpg

From the Little House Under the Prairie with 1 wonderful husband, 3 rescue dogs, 2 rescue cats, 12 sweet laying hens (4 EE's, 2 Blue Copper Marans, BO, Delaware, Golden Campine, 2 Marans mixes, Welsumer) and a lovely EE rooster (Jake), a happy Marans mix broody with 3 mixed chicks  AND now another darned broody.  It's complicated.
Reply
From the Little House Under the Prairie with 1 wonderful husband, 3 rescue dogs, 2 rescue cats, 12 sweet laying hens (4 EE's, 2 Blue Copper Marans, BO, Delaware, Golden Campine, 2 Marans mixes, Welsumer) and a lovely EE rooster (Jake), a happy Marans mix broody with 3 mixed chicks  AND now another darned broody.  It's complicated.
Reply
post #85 of 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharol 

I posted about my Golden Campine, Scout, back a few weeks ago (post #75).  She is almost 21 weeks old now, and she is squatting with a vengeance.  Up until Wednesday, I couldn't even catch her, much less handle her.  She was flighty and nervous and not the least bit interested in being handled.  She squatted on Wednesday when I leaned over to pet her (I always try, but she always scooted away before) and let me scritch her.  Today she came over and wanted to be picked up and seemed happy to be handled.  What's up?  Is it the impending egg laying?  She is squatting every time I approach her.  Will she stay like this -- liking to be picked up and cuddled?  It is like a different chicken.  I wanted to ask her, "who are you , and what did you do with Scout?"

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60454_12-1-scout.jpg


It must be that you have eggs coming soon!!! Yay! I know I was absolutely astonished when one of my Welsummers actually squatted instead of running away the other day. Scout is soooo cute.

Mine haven't started laying yet either.
I have posted these pics on some other threads, but here they are again!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0378.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0386.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0379.jpg


Edited by ChickensAreSweet - 12/3/10 at 6:07pm

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply
post #86 of 634

She is quite a character.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60454_scout_question.jpg

From the Little House Under the Prairie with 1 wonderful husband, 3 rescue dogs, 2 rescue cats, 12 sweet laying hens (4 EE's, 2 Blue Copper Marans, BO, Delaware, Golden Campine, 2 Marans mixes, Welsumer) and a lovely EE rooster (Jake), a happy Marans mix broody with 3 mixed chicks  AND now another darned broody.  It's complicated.
Reply
From the Little House Under the Prairie with 1 wonderful husband, 3 rescue dogs, 2 rescue cats, 12 sweet laying hens (4 EE's, 2 Blue Copper Marans, BO, Delaware, Golden Campine, 2 Marans mixes, Welsumer) and a lovely EE rooster (Jake), a happy Marans mix broody with 3 mixed chicks  AND now another darned broody.  It's complicated.
Reply
post #87 of 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharol 

She is quite a character.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60454_scout_question.jpg


lau

It looks like she is about to grab something with her beak!!!

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply
post #88 of 634

What a pretty flock.  I just have the 1 Campine.  I wanted a hen that laid white eggs for variety in my flock, so I ordered a Campine on a whim.  I'm so glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickensAreSweet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharol 

I posted about my Golden Campine, Scout, back a few weeks ago (post #75).  She is almost 21 weeks old now, and she is squatting with a vengeance.  Up until Wednesday, I couldn't even catch her, much less handle her.  She was flighty and nervous and not the least bit interested in being handled.  She squatted on Wednesday when I leaned over to pet her (I always try, but she always scooted away before) and let me scritch her.  Today she came over and wanted to be picked up and seemed happy to be handled.  What's up?  Is it the impending egg laying?  She is squatting every time I approach her.  Will she stay like this -- liking to be picked up and cuddled?  It is like a different chicken.  I wanted to ask her, "who are you , and what did you do with Scout?"

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60454_12-1-scout.jpg


It must be that you have eggs coming soon!!! Yay! I know I was absolutely astonished when one of my Welsummers actually squatted instead of running away the other day. Scout is soooo cute.

Mine haven't started laying yet either.
I have posted these pics on some other threads, but here they are again!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0378.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0386.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0379.jpg

From the Little House Under the Prairie with 1 wonderful husband, 3 rescue dogs, 2 rescue cats, 12 sweet laying hens (4 EE's, 2 Blue Copper Marans, BO, Delaware, Golden Campine, 2 Marans mixes, Welsumer) and a lovely EE rooster (Jake), a happy Marans mix broody with 3 mixed chicks  AND now another darned broody.  It's complicated.
Reply
From the Little House Under the Prairie with 1 wonderful husband, 3 rescue dogs, 2 rescue cats, 12 sweet laying hens (4 EE's, 2 Blue Copper Marans, BO, Delaware, Golden Campine, 2 Marans mixes, Welsumer) and a lovely EE rooster (Jake), a happy Marans mix broody with 3 mixed chicks  AND now another darned broody.  It's complicated.
Reply
post #89 of 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharol 

What a pretty flock.  I just have the 1 Campine.  I wanted a hen that laid white eggs for variety in my flock, so I ordered a Campine on a whim.  I'm so glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickensAreSweet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharol 

I posted about my Golden Campine, Scout, back a few weeks ago (post #75).  She is almost 21 weeks old now, and she is squatting with a vengeance.  Up until Wednesday, I couldn't even catch her, much less handle her.  She was flighty and nervous and not the least bit interested in being handled.  She squatted on Wednesday when I leaned over to pet her (I always try, but she always scooted away before) and let me scritch her.  Today she came over and wanted to be picked up and seemed happy to be handled.  What's up?  Is it the impending egg laying?  She is squatting every time I approach her.  Will she stay like this -- liking to be picked up and cuddled?  It is like a different chicken.  I wanted to ask her, "who are you , and what did you do with Scout?"

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60454_12-1-scout.jpg


It must be that you have eggs coming soon!!! Yay! I know I was absolutely astonished when one of my Welsummers actually squatted instead of running away the other day. Scout is soooo cute.

Mine haven't started laying yet either.
I have posted these pics on some other threads, but here they are again!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0378.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0386.jpg
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/59997_img_0379.jpg



Thank you!

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply

Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Buff Minorcas, and Nankins. 

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” - William Shakespeare
 

Reply
post #90 of 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder 

I've read through this entire thread.  Lots are asking where they can find a quality breeder, but no answers that I can find.  Someone mentioned Duane Urch, but I can't find a link to him.  FlockMama doesn't have any info on his/her page. Where are the breeders?


Someone scanned last year's flyer for you:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138280&p=2

Note that the scan cut off the instruction to call between 7pm and 9pm CST.


Edited by poltroon - 12/4/10 at 1:20am
One thing is for sure; a sheep is not a creature of the air. ... Notice that they do not so much fly as...plummet. ... As for flight, its body is totally unadapted to the problems of aviation.
Reply
One thing is for sure; a sheep is not a creature of the air. ... Notice that they do not so much fly as...plummet. ... As for flight, its body is totally unadapted to the problems of aviation.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › Breeds, Genetics, & Showing › Campine Chicken thread?