I have separated two young chickens. The lady I got them from is having no problems with the ones she has, I have 3 other siblings and they are all zipping around just fine.
But these two can't walk. And I can't figure out what I'm looking at. And I'm new to chickens, nothing like a steep learning curve.
Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.
1) What type of bird , age and weight. - 3 months old, easter egger, not sure of the weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - birds don't want to stand, feet are swollen
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - can't see any wounds but I think there is a bruise (look at pics)
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - brought them home in a wire cage 2 weeks ago, spent one week in a yard that is mostly concrete before being let out onto grass area
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - made a mistake and put onto crumbles, switched back to Start and Grow with amprollium. Dosed with Sulmet because of possible cocci.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - green and solid
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - Rescue Remedy and a pinch of terramycin in their water. chick feed with amprollium. Initially dosed with Sulmet.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I'd like to treat myself, there is no vet locally that I can get help from
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - I don't know how to post pics so I included links to pictures
Pics are here :
I'm not sure how to post pics so I gave links instead.
Edited by antheat - 1/29/08 at 3:23pm