BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Car caught on fire from under the hood...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Car caught on fire from under the hood...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Just a question...my mother bought a 2001 Ford Focus in 2002, the same year there was a recall due to faulty battery cable wiring. She did not recieve notice of this recall I don't believe. If she did, that is the recall where she took it to the local dealership and they 'fixed it' so now today...it caught on fire and brned up everything under the hood. The motor and battery is melted. What can she do? She did not have car insurance, they had to drop it so they could make their house payment. It caught fire in the garage and would have set the whole house on fire had it not been for Pop holding the hose on it until the fire department got there. Anyway, I doubt seriously homeowners will cover, but what about the recall? Does she have any rights to a claim? The frie department said they couldn't even tell where the fire started it melted everything so bad. I don't know how to advise her to pursue anything as I have never had this issue myself. Any ideas?

Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called Sons of God. Matthew 5:9
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cindiloohoo HERE Earn free stuff with me
I'm a blood bought bible taught born again child of God!
If we threw all of our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd quickly grab ours back
Reply
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called Sons of God. Matthew 5:9
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cindiloohoo HERE Earn free stuff with me
I'm a blood bought bible taught born again child of God!
If we threw all of our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd quickly grab ours back
Reply
post #2 of 10

It's a Ford, the cause has to be the cruise control wire that overheats and burns up the vehicle. It happened to us with our F150 at a gas station.  I don't know if you have a claim, our insurance did eventually reimburse us for our deductible, which I think was $500. Good luck, I certainly feel your pain.

Little girl 14, I wish you could see the beauty that's within your heart. You were made with such care your skin your body and your hair are perfect the way they are.  There could never be a more beautiful you! You were made with a purpose only you can do, there can never be a more beautiful you!

sevenferrets.blogspot.com
Reply
Little girl 14, I wish you could see the beauty that's within your heart. You were made with such care your skin your body and your hair are perfect the way they are.  There could never be a more beautiful you! You were made with a purpose only you can do, there can never be a more beautiful you!

sevenferrets.blogspot.com
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsgrl 

It's a Ford, the cause has to be the cruise control wire that overheats and burns up the vehicle. It happened to us with our F150 at a gas station.  I don't know if you have a claim, our insurance did eventually reimburse us for our deductible, which I think was $500. Good luck, I certainly feel your pain.


Sigh...I don't know what to tell her. I feel so bad for her!!! I guess she needs to call the Ford place and see what they say tomorrow.

Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called Sons of God. Matthew 5:9
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cindiloohoo HERE Earn free stuff with me
I'm a blood bought bible taught born again child of God!
If we threw all of our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd quickly grab ours back
Reply
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called Sons of God. Matthew 5:9
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cindiloohoo HERE Earn free stuff with me
I'm a blood bought bible taught born again child of God!
If we threw all of our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd quickly grab ours back
Reply
post #4 of 10

We just got a notice about our 2000 Ford Explorer for what sounds like the same issue. We're already in a big insurance thing over a minor wreck so this new issue will just have to wait a bit. Cross your fingers that the darn thing doesn't blow up in the driveway or something roll

If it's not one thing it's another, with all the Toyota issues and constant recalls, and not to mention airbags in everything....

I swear, I'm NEVER ever retiring my 1992 Ranger --- I'm afraid of new cars!!!!!!!

One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tala 

We just got a notice about our 2000 Ford Explorer for what sounds like the same issue. We're already in a big insurance thing over a minor wreck so this new issue will just have to wait a bit. Cross your fingers that the darn thing doesn't blow up in the driveway or something roll

If it's not one thing it's another, with all the Toyota issues and constant recalls, and not to mention airbags in everything....

I swear, I'm NEVER ever retiring my 1992 Ranger --- I'm afraid of new cars!!!!!!!


x2!!!

Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called Sons of God. Matthew 5:9
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cindiloohoo HERE Earn free stuff with me
I'm a blood bought bible taught born again child of God!
If we threw all of our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd quickly grab ours back
Reply
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called Sons of God. Matthew 5:9
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cindiloohoo HERE Earn free stuff with me
I'm a blood bought bible taught born again child of God!
If we threw all of our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd quickly grab ours back
Reply
post #6 of 10

Just a head's up, our Dodge Intrepid caught on fire, nice explosion when it hit the gas tank... and the fire chief says it was due to "Unexplained Electrical Malfunction Originating In The Glove Compartment"... in other words the wires where funky and blew up the car.

Told my Dad about that and he said "Ahhh well that explains the odd noises I've been hearing from Sus's (stepmom's) car"... they promptly sold theirs.

I will never never buy another Intrepid... and I'll never by a 1st year anything... the nightmare my SIL went through with her Stratus... EVERYTHING went wrong... 1st year, actually first couple years, are guinea pigs.  That's when they find all the bugs in real world testing.

Also, Ford Taurus/Mercury Sables have HORRIBLE transmissions.  In the BEST of circumstances you'll only have to replace it every 30,000 miles.  We've had one of each and BOTH had this problem.  FIL's friend had one and didn't mind replacing it every 30k, but for those of us on a budget that sucks rocks.  Oh, and the shocks are a pain in the butt to replace.

Thus ends Piney's Words Of Road Wisdom.

4 GSL 3 Yappy Dogs 2 Messy Kids & a Hubby I Love To Pieces.
Pineapple is the fruit of hospitality.  Beans, while musical, are not. 
Please join me in my One A Month NY Resolution http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434518
I am looking for Saphira Hatching Eggs, if you have any please PM me.
Reply
4 GSL 3 Yappy Dogs 2 Messy Kids & a Hubby I Love To Pieces.
Pineapple is the fruit of hospitality.  Beans, while musical, are not. 
Please join me in my One A Month NY Resolution http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434518
I am looking for Saphira Hatching Eggs, if you have any please PM me.
Reply
post #7 of 10

My best friend's Ford Ranger self combusted in the middle of the night...totally destroyed and the fire actually melted the (other vehicle parked nearby) bumper and rear tires/  She had gotten one recall notice for a clutch assemly problem and took it in but never got the one for the electrical issue which caused the fire and destruction of the truck.  Ford had to pay for BOTH vehicles.  The homeowners insurance for the other cehicle covered it and they were reimbursed for the damage to the car.  Her truck insurance would have covered it if Ford did not.  She just stuck to her guns and made Ford pay for the vehicle....

Dropping her auto insurance was a big mistake...in most states it is legally required ot operate the vehicle.  She could have some serious problems coming her way sadly.  Good luck Cindiloohoo.

Member of SDWD  RIP My Precious Thor 9/7/09 - 7/14/10 

RIP to the Love of Speckledhen's Life, Zane 2007 - 2012
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body. but rather, to skid in sideways, totally worn out and exhausted while shouting loudly "WOW! What a ride!"

For Sale: http://ladyhawksmenagerie.webs.com/forsale.htm
http://ww...

Reply

Member of SDWD  RIP My Precious Thor 9/7/09 - 7/14/10 

RIP to the Love of Speckledhen's Life, Zane 2007 - 2012
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body. but rather, to skid in sideways, totally worn out and exhausted while shouting loudly "WOW! What a ride!"

For Sale: http://ladyhawksmenagerie.webs.com/forsale.htm
http://ww...

Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleMama 

Also, Ford Taurus/Mercury Sables have HORRIBLE transmissions.  In the BEST of circumstances you'll only have to replace it every 30,000 miles.  We've had one of each and BOTH had this problem.  FIL's friend had one and didn't mind replacing it every 30k, but for those of us on a budget that sucks rocks.


My dad has one of those kinds of issues. It's a Chrystler-something 4-door car. He has put 2 (albit, used) trannys in it in the past couple of years. It's a known problem, which is why he got the car on the cheap coz he was willing to put in some labor tongue

One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
One thing is for sure. The price of a dead hen is a dead pred.
Trapping the trap-savvy raccoon
Reply
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleMama 



Also, Ford Taurus/Mercury Sables have HORRIBLE transmissions.  In the BEST of circumstances you'll only have to replace it every 30,000 miles.  We've had one of each and BOTH had this problem.  FIL's friend had one and didn't mind replacing it every 30k, but for those of us on a budget that sucks rocks.  Oh, and the shocks are a pain in the butt to replace.

Thus ends Piney's Words Of Road Wisdom.


I'm sorry, I swear I'm not picking on you. I miss my Mercury Sable SO badly. It was an awesome car. Had over 150,000 miles on it. V6, LS, automatic everything. I miss it. It was built like a tank. It was a 1996, so maybe that was the difference? I've only had two cars, but if you wanted comfort and safety, my Mercury was AWESOME. Had I been in my Aveo in the wreck, I would not be here today. My Mercury actually survived the wreck and lived to tell the tale. Here's what she looked like (not my car), my blue bubble:
http://www.autonav2000.com/images/ScrapBook/MercurySable_Blue_1.jpg

If I could have, I would have kept that car forever.

Breeder of: Show Quality Blue and Black Langshans in both Largefowl and Bantam!  


Check out my site! HERE! Or click the text above!

I am a WOMAN!!  Correction, THE woman!

Reply

Breeder of: Show Quality Blue and Black Langshans in both Largefowl and Bantam!  


Check out my site! HERE! Or click the text above!

I am a WOMAN!!  Correction, THE woman!

Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiloohoo 

Just a question...my mother bought a 2001 Ford Focus in 2002, the same year there was a recall due to faulty battery cable wiring. She did not recieve notice of this recall I don't believe. If she did, that is the recall where she took it to the local dealership and they 'fixed it' so now today...it caught on fire and brned up everything under the hood. The motor and battery is melted. What can she do? She did not have car insurance, they had to drop it so they could make their house payment. It caught fire in the garage and would have set the whole house on fire had it not been for Pop holding the hose on it until the fire department got there. Anyway, I doubt seriously homeowners will cover, but what about the recall? Does she have any rights to a claim? The frie department said they couldn't even tell where the fire started it melted everything so bad. I don't know how to advise her to pursue anything as I have never had this issue myself. Any ideas?


I'd contact Ford about it, since they knew about the recall. Maybe call the place that supposedly "fixed" the issue and tell them that your car combusted?

That sucks about your mom's car... sad

Breeder of: Show Quality Blue and Black Langshans in both Largefowl and Bantam!  


Check out my site! HERE! Or click the text above!

I am a WOMAN!!  Correction, THE woman!

Reply

Breeder of: Show Quality Blue and Black Langshans in both Largefowl and Bantam!  


Check out my site! HERE! Or click the text above!

I am a WOMAN!!  Correction, THE woman!

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Random Ramblings
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Car caught on fire from under the hood...