BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › New Hampshire!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hampshire! - Page 46

post #451 of 1458
Hello from Brentwood! Looking around, glad to see folks near me from Danville, Epping and Raymond!!!!

I just designed our coop and run, now looking for the right breeds and good breeders for my laying chicks. I think I research TOO much sometimes, I get overloaded with info and I can't make any decisions:-)

So, one thing I'm curious about is whether people harvest their own chickens when they stop laying, or if you send them out? Who processes them, and how many do you process at a time?

So much great info on this site, thanks everyone!!!
post #452 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyp View Post

Danville NH here.
EE
Speckled Sussex
Buff OpingtonsBlack Astralorp

Hello from Brentwood! I have been looking into speckled Sussex and maybe an EE for my flock. Where did you get them and how friendly are they? I have 2 small children so friendliness is just as important to me as laying:-)
post #453 of 1458

Hello, new member here from Plymouth NH. I see there are quite a few members from NH on here, and that is great to see. I am looking for Plymouth Rock Hatching Eggs or Plymouth Rock Hens and a Rooster. Does anyone know if Tractor Supply will have those in stock this spring during "chick days" in New Hampshire? 
 

post #454 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2siek View Post

Hello, new member here from Plymouth NH. I see there are quite a few members from NH on here, and that is great to see. I am looking for Plymouth Rock Hatching Eggs or Plymouth Rock Hens and a Rooster. Does anyone know if Tractor Supply will have those in stock this spring during "chick days" in New Hampshire? 
 


Try the Chicken Swaps of NH thread, lots of info on things available direct from local breeders:

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/365202/chicken-swaps-of-nh-swap-listings

NPIP 12-222, last tested 1-22-14.

Visit my website! http://www.thirdroar.com

My swap page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/draigathars-swap-page

Reply

NPIP 12-222, last tested 1-22-14.

Visit my website! http://www.thirdroar.com

My swap page: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/draigathars-swap-page

Reply
post #455 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownwardDog View Post


Hello from Brentwood! I have been looking into speckled Sussex and maybe an EE for my flock. Where did you get them and how friendly are they? I have 2 small children so friendliness is just as important to me as laying:

Hello Downward dog! Nice to see people so close to me.....I got them from Murry McMurry hatchery.They came in the mail to my post office in perfect health in the begining of this month. I couldnt tell you how friendly they will be when there older but they seem to be as friendly as the othe chicks at the moment. Tractor supply and Agway both on 125 will be selling chicks soon but, I did not see specked sussex on there list. Good luck!

post #456 of 1458
Thanks for the info, Paulyp!

I have a brooder question for all you NH folk: we are putting a brooder box inside our coop. We hope to get chicks by the end of April -- can the new chicks go straight into the coop's brooder box? My coop will not have heat but it will be well insulated. I still need heat in the brooder box, regardless, right! Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything:-)
post #457 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renie'sPeeps View Post


You will either run out of gas... or..  have a dead battery sad.png
...so true!
post #458 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownwardDog View Post

Thanks for the info, Paulyp!

I have a brooder question for all you NH folk: we are putting a brooder box inside our coop. We hope to get chicks by the end of April -- can the new chicks go straight into the coop's brooder box? My coop will not have heat but it will be well insulated. I still need heat in the brooder box, regardless, right! Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything:-)
make sure you have a good heat source. I wouldn't put them in the coop until they at least are growing their secondary feathers, but to each his own. Do have a basement that is well insulated and temperature controled?
post #459 of 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownwardDog View Post

Thanks for the info, Paulyp!

I have a brooder question for all you NH folk: we are putting a brooder box inside our coop. We hope to get chicks by the end of April -- can the new chicks go straight into the coop's brooder box? My coop will not have heat but it will be well insulated. I still need heat in the brooder box, regardless, right! Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything:-)

You want to have your brooder about 90 degrees the first week of your chicks life and about 5 degrees less every week till they feather out. The best way to do it is to a dry run  with a thermometer in your brooder before your chicks get there. I good heat lamp might get you there.

post #460 of 1458
Thanks again. Yes, I was looking into a Sweeter Heater for that purpose. Seems safer than a heat lamp from what I've read. Can't wait for my chicks, hope I find some SSussex:-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › New Hampshire!