I had another post about how my chickens (my rooster, a mother hen, and 3 young chicks) ate quite a bit of moldy feed that got wet from the rain. Well, they were fine and I was convinced that it wasn't gonna affect them. They were acting normal and healthy as ever. Until a couple days ago, I noticed that the three baby chicks have been acting lethargic...feathers were all fluffed up, sad, drown-out peeping noises instead of their usual high-pitched and energetic peeping, slowness, etc. One of the baby chicks, the youngest, seems to be the worst...She often stands in one spot with her head tuck in her wings/back and very slow. They all still eat and drink and can walk around and stand up fine, but it seems to have been getting progressively worse over the past couple days. Ever since I found out that the food was moldy and it was bad for chickens to eat it, I got rid of it all and bought some brand-new grower feed. They ate and have been eating that fine and always have fresh water available.
So I think that the way the chicks are acting lethargic and everything must have something to do with the moldy feed...
I've heard that molasses can be used to flush out their digestive system and treat infections from moldy feed. If this is true, how much should I use per gallon?
Are there any other solutions that I could use?
Thanks and any other information is appreciated!
(UPDATER: The three baby chicks are getting worse...Please see my post, which is a couple posts below this one, about it! Help!)
Edited by 77horses - 6/14/10 at 1:23pm