BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Quail › How to boil and easily peel a Quail Egg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to boil and easily peel a Quail Egg - Page 2

post #11 of 30

7 minutes straight in VERY SALTY boiling water, then right in cold ice water has turned out to be just right (as far as being cooked just right to pickle), but I guess I'm just jinxed when it comes to experiencing that "easy" peeling y'all are talking about smile   I wish I could zip through them quickly, because I'd have a pickling operation goin' on here that would make any wife fuss...LOL   I love me some pickled eggs..............and everybody wants to be a friend when they find out you make'em smile ...

Bobwhites.......Nothin' but big ol' honkin' Georgia Giant Bobwhites.....headed to Kamp Kenmore............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: What works for me.....may not necessarily work for you!
Reply
Bobwhites.......Nothin' but big ol' honkin' Georgia Giant Bobwhites.....headed to Kamp Kenmore............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: What works for me.....may not necessarily work for you!
Reply
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprophet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Randall_ 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottovan 

I keep hearing how hard it is to crack a quail egg and how not worth it they are.  I know most of you already know how to boil and peel a quail egg(or chicken egg for that matter) so that it is easy to peel and it will make it taste better. But some people don't so I'll tell you the secret- that's not really a secret.

Easiest way to cook and peel quail eggs:
Boil water with salt
while water boiling gently drop in eggs when water returns to boil turn off heat, cover, and set timer for 17min(21 for chicken eggs just remember incubation days)
when timer rings dump out water and add ice til eggs completely covered
When eggs are nice and cold
crack them by rolling them under your palms then then peel come off very easily in one movement(you'll have to practice on one or two to get this down)
The eggs are not rubbery -  very nice texture - no more boiling my eggs til they bounce.

Quails are definately worth it! I keep hearing about how much the grain is, mine eat very little layer, they eattwo day old bread, rice, watermelons everything really, you just have to start them when they young. Everyone has a bakery( they sell two day old bread by the pallets- I throw them in an old freezer) or restaurant or grocery store or old tomatoes or old melons on the vine( they do like mushy things!). Sorry another subject!


Sorry, but I beg to differ on it being that easy..........especially the shell coming off "in one movement".  I've tried all sorts of alterations in the boiling process, but I've never had one yet that just comes off "in one movement" ....... (and I've boiled several hundred this summer). 

Also, IMHO, I think the chicks need to start out on a commercial feed that has the suggested protein to get them off to a good start in body-building.  Not to say that having a little treat every once in a while is wrong, but they don't get anything except high protein commercial feed from me for the first 3 months at a minimum.  I think one reaps the befefit of the high protein feed, whether they process the birds to eat, or keep from reproduction.  But that's just me........


doing it this way most of my coturnix have started laying at 5 1/2 weeks all are laying at 6-6 1/2 weeks My bobs are still laying  smile

I just tap the eggs on both ends and peel from the air cell end they are easy to peel but I boil mine in vinegar .


Does the vinegar by any chance weaken the membrane?  I've about come to the conclusion that's what some of the so-called "latex" surgical gloves are made out of....Quail Egg Membrane......LOL  That's some stubborn stuff to un-wrap rant


Edited by _Randall_ - 7/19/10 at 4:16pm
Bobwhites.......Nothin' but big ol' honkin' Georgia Giant Bobwhites.....headed to Kamp Kenmore............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: What works for me.....may not necessarily work for you!
Reply
Bobwhites.......Nothin' but big ol' honkin' Georgia Giant Bobwhites.....headed to Kamp Kenmore............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: What works for me.....may not necessarily work for you!
Reply
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Randall_ 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprophet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Randall_ 


Sorry, but I beg to differ on it being that easy..........especially the shell coming off "in one movement".  I've tried all sorts of alterations in the boiling process, but I've never had one yet that just comes off "in one movement" ....... (and I've boiled several hundred this summer). 

Also, IMHO, I think the chicks need to start out on a commercial feed that has the suggested protein to get them off to a good start in body-building.  Not to say that having a little treat every once in a while is wrong, but they don't get anything except high protein commercial feed from me for the first 3 months at a minimum.  I think one reaps the befefit of the high protein feed, whether they process the birds to eat, or keep from reproduction.  But that's just me........


doing it this way most of my coturnix have started laying at 5 1/2 weeks all are laying at 6-6 1/2 weeks My bobs are still laying  smile

I just tap the eggs on both ends and peel from the air cell end they are easy to peel but I boil mine in vinegar .


Does the vinegar by any chance weaken the membrane?  I've about come to the conclusion that's what some of the so-called "latex" surgical gloves are made out of....Quail Egg Membrane......LOL  That's some stubborn stuff to un-wrap rant


It softens it a lot to me it tears easier kina peels like an apple with a knife if you are good smile

http://www.scnaonline.org  Serama Council Of North America

You might as well expect rivers to run backwards as any man born free to be contented penned up.
Chief Joseph
Reply
http://www.scnaonline.org  Serama Council Of North America

You might as well expect rivers to run backwards as any man born free to be contented penned up.
Chief Joseph
Reply
post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagpmgdsls 

17 minutes????  really????

I poke a tiny hole in the large end of the egg....drop them in boiling water  and boil for 4-5 minutes.....done and they peel pretty easily.


I don't boil them for 17 min I take them off heat and they remain in hot water for 17 min

post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Randall_ 

7 minutes straight in VERY SALTY boiling water, then right in cold ice water has turned out to be just right (as far as being cooked just right to pickle), but I guess I'm just jinxed when it comes to experiencing that "easy" peeling y'all are talking about smile   I wish I could zip through them quickly, because I'd have a pickling operation goin' on here that would make any wife fuss...LOL   I love me some pickled eggs..............and everybody wants to be a friend when they find out you make'em smile ...


I can't make quail pickled eggs, when I do they taste like vinegar!


Edited by ottovan - 7/21/10 at 5:20am
post #16 of 30

i have tried the hard boiled eggs in vinegar for 12 hours after you have boiled them

 the shell will be gone and the membrane is easy to peel but when you eat them they have a foul vinegar  taste to me

it not the taste of a pickled eggs  but a very gross tasted to me so i just put up with  the hard to peel so i can get that great pickle egg taste

post #17 of 30

who has a good pickled egg recipe for quail eggs

post #18 of 30

you can try what i do with chicken eggs. just heat up a can of pickled beets and pour the juice (and beets if you like or use them for something else) over the warm eggs in a nice glass jar or container that will not stain, using as many cans of beets as needed to cover the eggs or add a bit of water. Cap and store in the fridge for 3-4 days before eating. I have even done this with my favorite sweet pickle's juice. no need to make your own brine just heat up the store bought and reuse it. This can be done with spicy dills also...yummy and easy.


Edited by GrandmaBird - 1/28/13 at 11:18am
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chathound View Post

who has a good pickled egg recipe for quail eggs


Emeril http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/hot-pickled-quail-eggs-recipe/index.html

I have used a couple recipes but this is by far the one most people want again and again. You can cut the heat by lightening up on the cayenne and hot peppers.

post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Randall_ View Post


Does the vinegar by any chance weaken the membrane?  I've about come to the conclusion that's what some of the so-called "latex" surgical gloves are made out of....Quail Egg Membrane......LOL  That's some stubborn stuff to un-wrap rant

That is tooo funny and i totally agree

35 Chickens , 17 Ducks, 3 Geese, 4 Rabbits, 6 Dogs, 16 Cats, 1 Ferret, 5 Sugar Gliders, 1 Cockatiel, 21 Quail, 1 Phesant

Reply

35 Chickens , 17 Ducks, 3 Geese, 4 Rabbits, 6 Dogs, 16 Cats, 1 Ferret, 5 Sugar Gliders, 1 Cockatiel, 21 Quail, 1 Phesant

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Quail
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Quail › How to boil and easily peel a Quail Egg