Beautiful, Can't wait until I can get some. And the Lemon Cuckoos are... WOW
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 11/5/14 at 12:53pm in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Production Reds Last post on 11/1/14 at 2:38pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 11/5/14 at 10:51am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection Last post on 11/14/14 at 5:38pm in Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection
- What does the Game in gamefowl mean? Last post on 10/14/12 at 9:24pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
I am babysitting my grandmother's Basque pullet, and she scares me. I love chickens, but this girl is seriously like The Orphan crazy. She is little and cute with a buff color and a black tail...
We have had 2 Buff Orpingtons in our flock, and both were just the same. They could be bossy at times, I think it was because they were often broody. We don't heat or light our coop so the girls...
Our Jersey was typical of the breed, a big girl and the largest in the flock. That said she was not a bully, very even tempered. She enjoyed being held and never pecked anybody. She would place...
Our Gold Star is a rock star of a laying hen. She not only lays almost everyday in warm weather, she also lays nice large eggs. She is the first to come running when you come near the coop and...
I purchased my Easter Egger chicks on a whim when I went to pick up my 45 assorted chicks that I ordered through Farm and Fleet and they had a number of additional different breed chicks for sale....
Swedish Flower Hen Thread - Page 6
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #52 of 1010611/10/10 at 9:06pm
beautiful birds!1 Blue Cochin, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Welsummer, 1 Australorp, 1 Red star, 1 tuxedo cat, 1 pit-boxer mix, 1 happy home!
"Treat people as you would like to be treated. Karma's only a jerk if you are."
I do chicken portraits! You can see samples of my work at: http://society6.com/AlexandraHackettpost #53 of 1010611/10/10 at 9:29pm
The crested ones are beautiful. How will you handle as the popularity grows getting outcrosses to maintain their standard?Been showing and raising Miniature Horses at a National level since 1994. See my avatar and my daughter with her horse showing as Colonel Sanders and Spooky as the chicken. Gotta love them both
BUT I see a new addiction coming on LOVE LOVE LOVE Orpingtons esp the Blue and Lavendar and hope add some shortlyBeen showing and raising Miniature Horses at a National level since 1994. See my avatar and my daughter with her horse showing as Colonel Sanders and Spooky as the chicken. Gotta love them both
BUT I see a new addiction coming on LOVE LOVE LOVE Orpingtons esp the Blue and Lavendar and hope add some shortlypost #54 of 1010611/11/10 at 3:27amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by ZephyrWoodsFarm
The crested ones are beautiful. How will you handle as the popularity grows getting outcrosses to maintain their standard?
Great question. I've imported a total of 19 Swedish flower hens from three different bloodlines. That creates the potential for quite a bit of genetic diversity for many generations. We intentionally found and imported crested and crestless birds and have roosters representing every color variant within the breed. And, I could always import more birds if inbreeding depression were to become an issue.post #55 of 1010611/11/10 at 9:49am
I am so impressed with these birds. Now, I have to read all the postings on them.
Will eggs or chicks be available? I love the fact that you are helping to preserve the breed.
Edited by Carrie Lynn - 11/13/10 at 4:54pm1 Papillon, 2 mill rescue Shih-Tzus, 1 Bantam Leghorn, 1 Australorp & 2 BR.1 Papillon, 2 mill rescue Shih-Tzus, 1 Bantam Leghorn, 1 Australorp & 2 BR.post #56 of 1010611/11/10 at 12:07pmpost #57 of 1010611/18/10 at 1:36pm
Hi Stoneunhenged, SO pleased you have imported these guys and hopefully this will help maintain the breed. THANK YOU!!!
Scary that there are only 1000 left in Sweden. Hopefully in the US people will see that this is a gem we need to protect.
$399 a pair is somewhat outside my price range, but like the previous 2 posters I was wondering if you would be selling chicks or eggs in the spring?
And just dreaming here... but when you sell pairs does the seller get choice in the colour or if they have a crest, as they are very varied in appearance?
And to all the other SFH fans... has anyone else purchased a pair and have eggs that they would be prepared to sell?Carpe DiemCarpe Diempost #58 of 1010611/18/10 at 2:07pm
I LOVE these birds. A little outside of my price range, but I am desperate to see more pictures of them.
Also, curious about details. What standard are you planning on breeding to? Will that information be published on your site so that folks who buy your chicks can maintain the same goals?post #59 of 1010611/18/10 at 4:13pmThread Starter
Flower hens are a landrace native to Sweden and, to the best of my knowledge, have not been accepted as a breed by any kind of poultry sanctioning body. The best I could come up with were general descriptions of the breed, although if you talk to Swedish hobbyists, they seem comfortable with their ability to recognize purebred flower hens. I assume the best way to ensure you the breed is kept pure is to buy from a reputable breeder who assures that he or she acquired pure birds. There's enough uniformity in the breed where you should often be able to tell whether someone's been introducing foreign DNA. For example, if the eggs a hen produces aren't medium size and a light tan color, probably someone couldn't resist the tempation to add another breed like perhaps some araucana. If the birds have feathers on their legs, ditto.
Also, yesterday flower hen chicks were hatched for the first time in the US!
post #60 of 1010611/18/10 at 4:15pm
Congats Paul! Way to go!
- Farm Daze
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 4 seconds ago
- › Anyone going to have eggs hatch in novemeber? 27 seconds ago
- › Mountain Peep's Awesome Chat Thread! (All friends welcome!) 1 minute ago
- › Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat 1 minute ago
- › The EE braggers thread!!! 1 minute ago
- › Call Ducks Finally Hatched 2 minutes ago
- › I'm a newbie from Toowoomba Queensland 3 minutes ago
- › Michigan Thread - all are welcome! 3 minutes ago
- › My Ducks Quit Laying Eggs 4 minutes ago
- › What do you do with winter babies? 5 minutes ago
- › Euskal Oiloa - Marraduna Basque by Free Feather
- › Orpington by MinnetonkaBoater
- › Jersey Giant by MinnetonkaBoater
- › Gold Star by MinnetonkaBoater
- › Easter Eggers by rfreedlund
- › Silkie by LoveChickens123
- › Rhode Island by chickengirl2014
- › Leghorn by ShawnWatson
- › Black Sex Link chicken by BubbaLikesIt
- › Production by cityfarmer12