Beautiful, Can't wait until I can get some. And the Lemon Cuckoos are... WOW
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- Help in telling what breed my new chicks are Last post on 3/18/15 at 6:23am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Production Reds Last post on Yesterday at 3:44 pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on Today at 6:11 pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection Last post on Today at 6:26 pm in Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection
- What does the Game in gamefowl mean? Last post on 10/14/12 at 9:24pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
Wyandottes are one of my favorite breeds of all time. They are so friendly and docile and are very calm around children. They are superb layers and continue to be through out the winter. They grow...
Okay so this big, white Satan-bird roars like a full-blown velociraptor for 10 minutes every time she even thinks she sees people. She's my perimeter alarm, she's great at that--I can hear her...
Love this automatic door. Was VERY easy to install. Love the light sensor; worth extra money to get this feature. Mine is battery operated with the light sensor, and in a year and a half, it has...
I love my Barred Rock. She is a talker though. If I am in the yard working, she is right there telling me a story and if I sit down for a bit, she knows she can be a lap chicken for a while and get...
I got my spalding, originally i wanted an indian blue, and he is a pain in the butt. I had a purple peahen, and she was an angel, indian blues and their color varieties are more docile than the...
Swedish Flower Hen Thread - Page 6post #52 of 1055511/10/10 at 9:06pm
beautiful birds!1 Blue Cochin, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Welsummer, 1 Australorp, 1 Red star, 1 tuxedo cat, 1 pit-boxer mix, 1 happy home!
"Treat people as you would like to be treated. Karma's only a jerk if you are."
I do chicken portraits! You can see samples of my work at: http://society6.com/AlexandraHackettpost #53 of 1055511/10/10 at 9:29pm
The crested ones are beautiful. How will you handle as the popularity grows getting outcrosses to maintain their standard?Been showing and raising Miniature Horses at a National level since 1994. See my avatar and my daughter with her horse showing as Colonel Sanders and Spooky as the chicken. Gotta love them both
BUT I see a new addiction coming on LOVE LOVE LOVE Orpingtons esp the Blue and Lavendar and hope add some shortlyBeen showing and raising Miniature Horses at a National level since 1994. See my avatar and my daughter with her horse showing as Colonel Sanders and Spooky as the chicken. Gotta love them both
BUT I see a new addiction coming on LOVE LOVE LOVE Orpingtons esp the Blue and Lavendar and hope add some shortlypost #54 of 1055511/11/10 at 3:27amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by ZephyrWoodsFarm
The crested ones are beautiful. How will you handle as the popularity grows getting outcrosses to maintain their standard?
Great question. I've imported a total of 19 Swedish flower hens from three different bloodlines. That creates the potential for quite a bit of genetic diversity for many generations. We intentionally found and imported crested and crestless birds and have roosters representing every color variant within the breed. And, I could always import more birds if inbreeding depression were to become an issue.post #55 of 1055511/11/10 at 9:49am
I am so impressed with these birds. Now, I have to read all the postings on them.
Will eggs or chicks be available? I love the fact that you are helping to preserve the breed.
Edited by Carrie Lynn - 11/13/10 at 4:54pm1 Papillon, 2 mill rescue Shih-Tzus, 1 Bantam Leghorn, 1 Australorp & 2 BR.1 Papillon, 2 mill rescue Shih-Tzus, 1 Bantam Leghorn, 1 Australorp & 2 BR.post #56 of 1055511/11/10 at 12:07pmpost #57 of 1055511/18/10 at 1:36pm
Hi Stoneunhenged, SO pleased you have imported these guys and hopefully this will help maintain the breed. THANK YOU!!!
Scary that there are only 1000 left in Sweden. Hopefully in the US people will see that this is a gem we need to protect.
$399 a pair is somewhat outside my price range, but like the previous 2 posters I was wondering if you would be selling chicks or eggs in the spring?
And just dreaming here... but when you sell pairs does the seller get choice in the colour or if they have a crest, as they are very varied in appearance?
And to all the other SFH fans... has anyone else purchased a pair and have eggs that they would be prepared to sell?Carpe DiemCarpe Diempost #58 of 1055511/18/10 at 2:07pm
I LOVE these birds. A little outside of my price range, but I am desperate to see more pictures of them.
Also, curious about details. What standard are you planning on breeding to? Will that information be published on your site so that folks who buy your chicks can maintain the same goals?post #59 of 1055511/18/10 at 4:13pmThread Starter
Flower hens are a landrace native to Sweden and, to the best of my knowledge, have not been accepted as a breed by any kind of poultry sanctioning body. The best I could come up with were general descriptions of the breed, although if you talk to Swedish hobbyists, they seem comfortable with their ability to recognize purebred flower hens. I assume the best way to ensure you the breed is kept pure is to buy from a reputable breeder who assures that he or she acquired pure birds. There's enough uniformity in the breed where you should often be able to tell whether someone's been introducing foreign DNA. For example, if the eggs a hen produces aren't medium size and a light tan color, probably someone couldn't resist the tempation to add another breed like perhaps some araucana. If the birds have feathers on their legs, ditto.
Also, yesterday flower hen chicks were hatched for the first time in the US!
post #60 of 1055511/18/10 at 4:15pm
Congats Paul! Way to go!
- Farm Daze
- › Advice needed with incubator temps. 25 seconds ago
- › The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long! 35 seconds ago
- › Almost 1yr old barred rock roo Long Island NY 38 seconds ago
- › feathers 38 seconds ago
- › Show off your Peas! 1 minute ago
- › HELP PLEASE URGEN!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Dixie Chicks 2 minutes ago
- › ALABAMA!! 3 minutes ago
- › Quotes and thoughts for the day 4 minutes ago
- › roo or hen 5 minutes ago
- › Wyandotte by wyandottegirl
- › Delaware by Noodlez
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by msyfoopoo
- › Barred Rock by ChicagoClucker
- › Peafowl by annarogetta
- › Orpington by RedBreasted
- › Amber Star Hybrid by cluckcluckgirl
- › GQF Hova-Bator #1583 Picture Window Turbofan Egg Incubator by QuailGuy88
- › Side mounted, Spring-loaded Chicken/Small Animal Water Drinker - 10... by Tazbeaux
- › Partridge Plymouth Rock by Theofire88